T O C

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

T O C

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:47 pm

:D
Today was the first day of the HFFA Tournament of Champions.
Anyone hear anything about the of fishing?
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

HFFA-TC
bass level

Postby HFFA-TC » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:12 pm

You didn't miss much, Stan. Fishing was very tough. Out of the nine people who showed up(only ten qualified), four got limits. First and second place are separated by THREE ounces. Only twelve ounces separates first and fourth place. Even Kelton couldn't find the big ones as he is now in fourth place. The front is still supposed to be around tomorrow so it should be very interesting.

Winners will be announced at our annual awards banquet so that's all I'll be saying for now.
See you on the Lake

MIKE

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Mike,
According to club records, what months have the best catches?
Seems like the Jan. tournaments are pretty slow fishing.
Has there ever been a thought to going on a fiscal year, rather than on a calendar year?

Say the "Fishing Year" ends in June and the TOC held in July or something?

Just wondered,
Last edited by Stan Wright on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

HFFA-TC
bass level

Postby HFFA-TC » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Stan, don't tell that to the other Mike. If you remember he got a seven pounder on the first day last year and then followed that up with a five pounder on the second day. Needless to say, he won the TOC.

January hasn't really made that much of a difference. Actually I think July is a slower month because of the heat. It's just that this year we are in the middle of a cold front so that sorta shut down the bite. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.
See you on the Lake

MIKE

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:39 am

Regardless of the conditions...
"The cream always comes floating to the top."
That's why they call it the Tournament of Champions.
:lol:

HFFA-TC
bass level

Postby HFFA-TC » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Sunday results-Okay, another tough day fishing but some nice ones were caught. Can't name names as the results are announced at the awards banquet.

The top two finishers were the only ones to go into double digits with both scoring over thirteen pounds over the two days. As an indicator to the tough fishing, the day one leader didn't catch anything on Sunday. Again, only four limits were caught.

A couple of nice fish were caught though. Kelton has the largest Tuc with a 3.33 fish caught on Sunday. I was lucky enough to catch a 4.01 Bass at 7:30 in the morning. There were some busts in the morning and I caught both bass and tucs. The one knocker was the magic lure for the busts for both bass and tucs(caught a 2lb 9oz tuc with it) although I caught my large bass worming and most of my fish on the KVD silent deep diver.

As you can see, we have a new digital scale which I told the club members would eliminate ties as the old analog only went to half ounces. Well, I almost had to eat my words as the winner won by 0.01 ounces on the digital. Which comes out to 0.16 ounces on analog. If we had used the old scales we would have ended with a tie for first.

Our first regular tournament is scheduled for this Sunday so I hope the weather improves by then. The water is still dropping by a foot every 3-4 days so if the weather improves, the fishing might be better.
See you on the Lake

MIKE

Return to “Fishing Reports”