Three Bass on One Cast

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Three Bass on One Cast

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:29 am

Alabama Rig Video of 3 fish on one cast...
http://www.thealabamarig.com/

Instructional video on how to set up the Alabama Rig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c3C4Ah8 ... re=related

Now that's what I'm talking about...
:twisted:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:30 pm

As cool as that is, check with your local regulations regarding the number of lures/hooks you can have on one line. I believe we are limited to just one lure per line.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:22 pm

Alabama Rig?!?!

That's just a good ole umbrella rig that has been used for years for striped bass in the New England areas.

This company is saying they are THE Original and patent pending for the product. How can you own a patent for a concept and product that has already been established without any significant improvements or changes? :roll: I think they should really look into IP laws before stating "patent pending". :roll:

I wouldn't spend a cent on their product just by their poor marketing tactics alone.
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Ken wrote:Alabama Rig?!?!

That's just a good ole umbrella rig that has been used for years for striped bass in the New England areas.

Amen, Ken. I have a couple sets of umbrella rigs I ordered from the east coast 15 years ago to try here when I lived on Maui. I tried it once but have to troll real slow due to drag so I only tried it once off Ma'alaea. I think it has potential in saltwater. Maybe I'll try it in the pond if they ever get all that algae bloom removed, and fish stocks bounce back from die off.

Alabama Rig

Umbrella Rig
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:56 pm

It is pretty much the same thing as an umbrella rig except it is designed to be cast and not trolled. People have been using them for a while but they only got "popular" since the top 5 pros in the last FLW tourney were all reported to have used it to. I ordered a couple just to check em out. The fish at clarks hill school heavily due to the blue back herring and in the past month pretty much every fish I've caught has had 2 or 3 others trying to snatch the bait from his mouth. The possibility of catching 3 bass at once is pretty awesome if you're tournament fishing and is a easy way to get a quick limit....so I'm gonna give it a shot! I know it's not gonna be an end all be all lure/presentation but it does have it's applications like during the fall when bass are schooling and chasing shad in the shallows or maybe during the shad/herring spawns. Just hope the fish are still schooling when I get back from "vacation"(I'm not going to be fishing so it's not a real vacation :) last weekend I went out and the air temp on the lake was 36f at 0800!! (I miss Hawaii :( )Water temp was 64 so I don't have much time left to try out the "new rig" :) the shad already seem to be making their way back out of the shallows in my neck of the woods.

I found one set up with the alabama rig where you lay the arms flat and fish softplastics like lizzards, creatures and worms on em. I'll probably give that a try as well but not expecting great results with that one....plus if you get that snagged up and lose you it you're out 25 bucks and 5 good hooks!

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:03 am

Ahnkochee wrote:
Ken wrote:Alabama Rig?!?!

Amen, Ken. I have a couple sets of umbrella rigs I ordered from the east coast 15 years ago to try here when I lived on Maui. I tried it once but have to troll real slow due to drag so I only tried it once off Ma'alaea. I think it has potential in saltwater. Maybe I'll try it in the pond if they ever get all that algae bloom removed, and fish stocks bounce back from die off.

Hey Ahnko,

I've seen newer versions of the umbrella rig where they use little strips of vinyl cut into fish shapes (instead of using soft plastic bodies). I've seen it used on TV shows a couple of times (once on a show fishing in Australia, once on a show fishing in Florida).

The thin vinyl strips should minimize drag in the water so you should be able to troll them faster.

Only the trailing hook has a soft plastic lure, or sometimes a dead bait/hoochie combo.

Imagine going through an aku or kawakawa school with an umbrella rig fully loaded with hooked baits? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Imagine trolling that in the pond when you found a school of awa'awa? Pandemonium!!! Just the way I like it :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm hoping I can graduate by summer 2012...and plan another trip to visit Grandma and you guys. Maybe we can go holoholo with Stan in K-bay for small game. :wink:

Ken

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:46 am

Ken wrote:Hey Ahnko,

I've seen newer versions of the umbrella rig where they use little strips of vinyl cut into fish shapes (instead of using soft plastic bodies).
The thin vinyl strips should minimize drag in the water so you should be able to troll them faster.

Ken

Mine came with very low drag tube lures. The main cause of the drag is the umbrella arms themselves, nature of the beast that you kind of have to accept.

I also have a couple spreader bar rigs- one horizontal bar with 3 lures (ika skirts). This one rides the surface with all 3 lures on top the middle one trailing slightly further back. This one should have half the drag. I bought the bars and rigged the lures years ago when still on Maui but haven't given them a chance yet.

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:14 am

Ahnkochee wrote:
Ken wrote:Hey Ahnko,

I've seen newer versions of the umbrella rig where they use little strips of vinyl cut into fish shapes (instead of using soft plastic bodies).

Ken

Mine came with very low drag tube lures. The main cause of the drag is the umbrella arms themselves, nature of the beast that you kind of have to accept.

I also have a couple spreader bar rigs- one horizontal bar with 3 lures (ika skirts). This one rides the surface with all 3 lures on top the middle one trailing slightly further back. This one should have half the drag. I bought the bars and rigged the lures years ago when still on Maui but haven't given them a chance yet.

Oh, I see. Yeah, then that's just the nature of the beast. :D

Spreader bar sounds like an interesting rig too. I've only read about spreader bars for deep drops (bottom fishing). :D

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:47 am

Ken wrote:
Spreader bar sounds like an interesting rig too. I've only read about spreader bars for deep drops (bottom fishing). :D

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:38 am

Ahnkochee wrote:
Ken wrote:

Nice ika school! :lol:

That would be one mean thing to pull on a dory or kayak though. :shock: Need to eat more Pop-pi's spinach to grow more muscles to paddle fast enough to troll that. :lol: Or get an AI :lol:

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:41 pm

Ken wrote:
Nice ika school! :lol:

That would be one mean thing to pull on a dory or kayak though. :shock: Need to eat more Pop-pi's spinach to grow more muscles to paddle fast enough to troll that. :lol: Or get an AI :lol:

I cheat, I use an outboard motor. :wink:
Whatever I drag behind my man powered dory, or kayak has to float at rest. If not a floating lure it will be behind either a floating bird or a floating Jet Diver.

Return to “General Discussion”