Very Lucky Bluegill

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Very Lucky Bluegill

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon May 23, 2011 2:52 pm

Just thought I'd share this occurrence I had last week. I have a 625 gallon hard plastic tub that I have two S. American cichlid temensis peacock bass in, couple of BGs and couple of tilapia that didn't get eaten by the peacock bass. Never saw any signs of spawning before.

I have a large filter for my tub. Once a week or two, I'll backflush the filter to clean it out. I water my fruit trees and plants with the fish wastewater. After filling 5 gallon buckets with the wastewater, I let the waste settle to the bottom, pour off most of the clear water to get a more concentrated "fertilizer" for my plants. When I started pouring off the clear water, I discover 8-10 tiny little fish! All about 1/8" long. I put them in 10 gl. aquarium and started feeding them brine shrimp eggs. I'd love it if they were the cichlid temensis peacock bass, but I suspect they are BG. What are the chances these fish survived thru the filter system!

James from the Wahiawa Middle School fish hatchery has been very helpful giving me pointers on how to raise these very little critters. I may isolate my big BGs and try to start raising some BG to augment our lake.

Last edited by roadwarriorsvt on Mon May 23, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheesefish
bass level

Postby Cheesefish » Mon May 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Can we see some pictures please I want to start a tank!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon May 23, 2011 6:57 pm

I'll try. Not sure how good they'll show up in a pic.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon May 23, 2011 8:25 pm

Here are the little guys. They are about 1/4" long now. I have 8 as of today.

blast from the past
bass level

Bluegill idea

Postby blast from the past » Thu May 26, 2011 10:25 am

Wow, that is a fantastic idea. The bluegill is such an awesome game fish, and it can be caught with fly tackle.

Return to “General Discussion”