report 5-12-11

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Tim Gorski
bait level

report 5-12-11

Postby Tim Gorski » Thu May 12, 2011 10:59 pm

out today with filthyfishermen testing our new zebra color, wit great sucsess. bunch of l.m. bass and smallies. water temp 75.5 to 77 degrees.
fishing north end
Tim Gorski (filthy fishermen bait co)

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri May 13, 2011 11:12 am

We ran into these guys when it was already time to go in... See, we weren't the only crazy guys out on the lake. I think the dog found the fish for them... probably caught most of the fish too.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

They were nice, and gave me a few of the "New" worms they had caught all the fish on, but as I said, it was time to go home already.
Here are pictures of the fish Shane and I caught earlier.
This 2 pounder was the first... Tagged and Released.

This one pounder was also big enough to tag.

Shane got this one on a topwater.

Hay Shane, this chartreuse spinner bait is really working... you want to borrow one?

Hay Shane, it's still working.... Shane?
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Filthyfisherman
King Sushi level

Postby Filthyfisherman » Fri May 13, 2011 12:34 pm

Launched 3-5:30pm, Overcast, water Stained bad to dam, clears up little going North, dirty by pipe crossing, then better again. MoonShine Clear at waterfall... The Bridge up north looks good, was going fish it but getting dark. Saw Stan on way back, "saying theres no fish in this lake". I replied "we just got like 20"... We got 13, If we stayed in that spot hr longer, we could had 20.. We were filming yesterday, Editing video now.... we were rigging Agent Utah in "proto type" color Coal mixed with White on 1/0 EWG hooks with 1/8oz bullet weight. The fish were in current breaks and in 3-4ft water. I was dropping it in and letting it settle, then twitching up, with quick natural twitches making that lure hop off the bottom or suspending. Should got some good footage. I'll post it.... 3 Nice smallies today!! Like being on the good old Delaware River!!! Tim's and my old stomping ground....

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri May 13, 2011 8:22 pm

Who would have thought a chartruse spinnerbait in muddy water would do the trick? :)

Does the Muddy Water Techniques Topic from general discussion sound familiar to anyone? Kinda of cool to see a recent topic asking for muddy water advise panned out!

Ever try using a spinnerbait trailer? Even a large curlytail grub or a plastic worm is a good trailer on a spinnerbait (best to use a matching color). They definitely add more action, and some pros say they help the fish eat the bait better. I have had days where a trailer didn't matter, and had some where it was a must..so now I almost always use one because I don't feel it has ever hindered me. Kinda like fishing a jig without a trailer...I just seems wrong! :)
Last edited by Ca_Bass on Fri May 13, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri May 13, 2011 8:25 pm

Those are some sweet looking smallies. As much as I've fished the north fork, haven't caught one yet! :evil:

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri May 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Did you happen to catch my version of a grand slam.....Tuc, LMB & SMB?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri May 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Actually that's beed dubbed the Lake Wilson Triple Crown! The day I catch a smallie, I'll spend the rest of the day trying to get a Tuc and LMB.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Fri May 13, 2011 10:10 pm

yes the triple crown of wilson! i was so bummed last year, everyone seemed to be catching smallies in the main basin for several months and i tried and tried and tried and no luck!! but so many people were catching them around the lake i felt it was a really great sign of the lake doin well on the rebound. yrs ago you could get a triple crown catch once in awhile now its unheard of unless you travel up to the headwaters for the smallie.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri May 13, 2011 10:33 pm

I got a tripple crown once, first time I went all the way to the end ofthe north fork, caught all 3 species within 25ft of the mouth of the stream. Caught the bass on a jerkbait and the tucs on spinnerbaits and bass assasins That was probably 5 years ago. There was a TON of shad in the upper end of the north fork which I guess was why there were tucs all the way up there as well. Funny thing was about a week before that someone had told me that the tucs NEVER go that far up.

Took my buddy last winter and he caught a nice smallie about 2 to 2.5lbs at condo cliffs with a white/chartruse spinnerbait. I was shocked he caught it there.

Can't wait to get to Georgia and start fishing Clarks Hill, they have LGM, spots and smallies...plus stripers and walley too. Going to texas for 3 months on my way to Georgia. Did a little research on the lakes near where I will be staying. Looks like there is a pretty good one about 55 miles away called O.H. Ivie...anyone ever fish it?

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat May 14, 2011 8:40 am

:D
Sounds like a great place to fish... Excellent for bass & bluegill.
Do I see a bass boat in your future? :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fi ... /o_h_ivie/

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sat May 14, 2011 9:55 am

Stan Wright wrote:We ran into these guys when it was already time to go in... See, we weren't the only crazy guys out on the lake. I think the dog found the fish for them... probably caught most of the fish too.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah, the infamous "Black Dog" boat. :lol: :wink:

What's the closest thing to a white Senko you make Filthyfisherman?
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat May 14, 2011 10:49 am

I was checking that's site out the other day, I guess texas takes their bass fishing seriuosly. It seemed like they had some info on just about every public lake in texas.

Yes there is a bass boat in my future, using the the money from the sale of my tracker and truck and my re-enlistment bonus. Haven't decided on what I want yet, it's harder than buying a new car! Leaning towards a nitro z9, basscat, ranger or stratos champion elite. If I go with the nitro I will want to buy new, they don't have very good warranties for 2nd owners. Basscat has lifetime hull waranties for all owners and is a top quality boat from what I understand, rangers have good waranties but seems like you pay an extra 10,00 just because its a ranger. Stratos champion elites have one of the best hull for handling rough water since its esentially a champion, but are also on the upper extreme for price with bass boats. Nitros you get more for your money, but is it a lesser quality boat and their still not cheap. If I'm already going to be spending a bunch of money not sure if I should skimp at that point! And I'm not sure how the nitros handle rough water. Besides my tracker I've only fished from champion bass boats but they are now stratos champion elites and champion is no longer a company. Anyone have any insight!?

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat May 14, 2011 4:23 pm

:D
I'd test drive them before you buy.

See if there is a bass club and ask the members about boats they like and why.

Visit a boat repair shop and ask which boats they see the least of.
:lol:

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat May 14, 2011 5:01 pm

So I did some more boat research today and finally found some reviews on the newer nitro z9, all in all people say they are for the most part on par with the big boys. Anything they lack can be upgraded. One guy said he's owned ranger, skeeter and a nitro..the nitro was 20K less was just as nice. A lot of reviews say they have the most storage, best layout, are more stable than other top of the line boats, handle rough water better than rangers and tritons, but are a 1-2mph slower(I can live with that). A lot of the "quality" issues where from a long time ago like 15 years. And I guess customer service is great if you bought new...not so good as a 2nd hand owner some people say. I've been leaning towards the z9 for awhile now...and their case keeps getting better.

I do think bass pro will let you test drive the same boat you want to buy. If I go used there is no way in hell I don't test drive. I thinking more and more that I'm gonna go new because even rigs that are 2 or 3 years old are a significant cost...and you never know what the hell the guys did with it before he decided to sell it. Would to hate to replace a 250hp outboard after finding out the one I just bought was not taken care of properly. I believe they run about 16k to 18k.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Mon May 16, 2011 11:47 pm

Stan Wright wrote::D
Sounds like a great place to fish... Excellent for bass & bluegill.
Do I see a bass boat in your future? :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fi ... /o_h_ivie/

That is the hottest lake in Texas the past two years for trophy bass! If you get to fish it, please post a report and good luck!
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/visi ... arelunker/
16 pounder caught there last year!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Return to “Fishing Reports”