Wooooossssh

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Wooooossssh

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Friday, 18 Feb.
:o
That's the sound a peacock bass makes as it attacks
your lure. We heard that a lot today. I was kind of
worried about the fishing since the water temperature
had been so cold (68 - 69 degrees) and the peacock
bass not biting at all. But then Thursday, Chris and
the folks fishing with him had some good action.
(pictures soon, I hope)

Chris was fishing this morning. I was to meet him at
the ramp and take the boat out this afternoon...
Noon came... and went... they finally showed up at 1:00,
all smiles and showing pictures of big peacock bass.
(Main Basin, and use the little white Senkos... right next to the shore)

And so it went all afternoon Every boat and kayak
we saw was catching fish. One guy in a kayak was
fishing top waters along the shore. I hope he posts
some pictures. He caught some nice ones.

We missed so many fish, but it was good fun just
having the fish around and feeding again. Sean struck
first with this nice largemouth. He was using larger
lures going for the big fish.

The fish did like those little Senkos.

I chose a white streamer for my flyrod...
(looks like a little white Senko)
:lol:

The red devils were every where, and very aggressive.
I broke out my Tenkara Rod and start catching.

Even the bluegill were around. Good fun on that long limber rod.

This RD was over a pound. It gave the Tenkara rod a real workout.

It was a fun day, I'm glad Sean talked me into going.
The only thing I can figure in the fishing action from last week to this week is the water temperature. Last week 69 degrees, and today it was 80 degree water temperature. I guess the peacock bass thawed out and started feeding.
:D :D :D
Last edited by Stan Wright on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Sweeeeet !! I "plan" on going out every day this long weekend. We'll see if the weather co-operates. I have yet to catch a peacock in 2011 !!!

fish4fun
master baiter level

Postby fish4fun » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:21 am

Nice to hear that the bite is on. ThAnks for the report. It's been over a month since I had a chance to get out there. Hope to get on it tomorrow. See you out there

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:59 am

Interesting the water temp jumped up so quick the weather doesn't seem to have changed much...less rain I guess. Bet the drop in water helps it heat up faster. Hope to catch some nice tucs tmw for the HFFA tournament!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Stan,

In the second picture down, the one with the largemouth and the white senko in his mouth, is that a bead or weight painted white? I'm curious like a cat..that's why they call me whiskers.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:42 pm

Cal_Bass,

That's a Bead in the picture... Gary Yamamoto showed me that trick. The bead makes it easier for the plastic worm to slip over twigs and grass. Less chance the worm will hang up on something and pull down off the eye of the hook. The fish don't seem to mind. I also have some glass ones that reflect the light really nice... I have some red beads too. I get them in the sewing department at Wally World.... They are just a string fake pearls.

When one is using 4# test line and a 2 inch Senko, any little bit of weight also helps in the casting.

Some other lures that work... note the small size.
Last edited by Stan Wright on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Joel
bass level

Postby Joel » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Pink worms, I have some in my bag but they rarely come out. It was a go to bait on Grand Lake in Oklahoma when the water was super high and flooded. May have to bust them out next trip!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:38 pm

I'm gonna have to give that a shot tmw. My wife has a whole mess of beads in different colors and shapes from a "project" she was doing. If Gary Yamamoto himself does it why shouldn't I? I actually fished a tournamnet that he fished in once I can't remember if it was lake havasu or lake casistas. It was before Senkos were made, but his baits were still really popular at least in SoCal, used to flip his hula grubs a lot. There are a lot of different "senkos" out there but his are definatley the best....he might just make the best softplastics period...though I will still choose a roboworm over any other worm.
Wish they sold em out here.

Stan,

Has the Charlie Moore show aired yet from lake wilson? I was watching one yesterday and he was in Hawaii, and it showed Chris on the shows intro, but it wasn't lake wilson.

Cheesefish
bass level

Postby Cheesefish » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:02 am

Hey Stan! I've been stalking this site for a while now and I finally had enough of it! I had to come catch one of these beautiful fish! I grew up fishing lakes in the SF Bay Area and San Joaquin Delta and love it! So fishing here just gave me a taste of home with some excitement thrown in!

I started out using my trusty white spinner bait and only got one hit. I was also using a drop shot type rig and again got no action... I was all the way to Mikimiki Flats when I saw Stan and he told me to go to the dam. I strolled up there and fished the side that was protected by the wind and had some success using top water baits. In 25 yards I had 3 huge blow ups. After that, I caught a few dinks here and there but nothing huge.

I guess my one main question after fishing the lake for the first time is...How the heck do u guys know where to fish? Every spot looks good with sunken logs and steep drop offs. Also what depths do peacocks tend to stay in? I couldnt tell if I was fishing to shallow or deep.

Here are some of the pics of my recent trip

Who is in the background? javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

A taste of home! My first largemouth bass in Hawaii

[/img]

Return to “Fishing Reports”