modified bubble rig

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

modified bubble rig

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:16 am

I was thinking about one of Stan's reports about the fish hitting the bubble instead of the fly and thought....why not replace the bubble with a topwater spook type lure or a popper. Remove the back hook and tie you fly with leader to that. It will at least give you a chance of hooking the fish going after the surface portion of the rig. I will try it next time I fish and post my results...or if someone has already tried this or beats me to I would like to hear about it.

stingr
minnow level

Postby stingr » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Not knowing what exactly bubble rig is it sounds like something we used to do in the 90's. We would pull off the rear hook of a crank and attach a streamer fly to it. Idea seemed great , but wasn't consistant. Tried to look up the bubble rig from the site on the web page, couldn't locate any ref. Did like the looks of the fly/lure that was in Stan's last post on fishing reports. Will have to check those next week, can anybody tell me who carrys those. Thats why when traveling in an area I always check out any local tackle stores. Sometimes you find good stuff, not found in Cablea's/ Bassproshop. Hope the weather is warm it's nasty here right now and we didn't get much of a summer.
Monte J. Sweeney I've been bass fishing for 30yrs.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:50 pm

:D
Here is the "Bubble Rig". The bubble can be filled
with water to change the weight. I cut down the length
of the leader to 2 feet... worked well.

You don't have to just use the clear plastic bubble,
other options are available.

If you're not into using flys... try twister tails or glitter strips.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:03 pm

CA,
Your idea sounds good, at least in theory. Last summer I started catching peacocks off BBP, over 20, many right in a row with the gold fly/bubble rig. Since they were hitting hard & heave, I changed over to a Pop-R, then nothing! Not even a nibble. You'd think they'd hit it, but for some reason, they wouldn't touch it. Swtiched back to a gold fly for a few more peacocks. Weird....

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:31 pm

When I was a teenager I used to have this clear zara spook..it was about 3.5 inches or so, and is used to destroy largemouth with it. It looked a lot like a bubble float...I would like to get my hands on another a give it a go. Not sure when I will be able to try it next..my wife is due on the 16th, and my father in-law gets in tmw at noon, so it looks like I won't be able to make it to the bass release. Maybe I can get out next Sunday for the hffa tourny...not sure if it will fly with the wife though :D

I admit it I'm addicted to fishing..but I don't want or need help :D

Return to “General Discussion”