Free: Peacock Bass

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Free: Peacock Bass

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:11 pm

OK, these are NOT out of Lake Wilson, but my friends 650 gallon aquarium. He's not even looking for sell the, rather find them a suitable home. If he can't find a good home for them, they may find their way into a very large body of freshwater in the central Oahu area. :roll: I believe he has three temisis (?) breed of Peacocks. The largest one is probably close to 30" long, so obviously he will not let them go to someone with a 10 gallon aquarium. This breed is the largest and most aggressive species of Peacock bass. PM me if you're interested and have a suitable aquarium or pond. Sorry about the poor quality pic.

fish4fun
master baiter level

Postby fish4fun » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:42 am

30 inches! Would that be that be a state record size fish?
If that is the variety that gets big it sure would be great if they could breed and have their offspring escape into local waters!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:33 pm

Yes, this is the species that is located in the Amazon River. I doubt they would survive in the lake though. Who knows....

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:15 am

How about seeing if the guys at the HFFA could take them for breeding at the Wahiawa hatchery?
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

fish4fun
master baiter level

Postby fish4fun » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:51 pm

That would be awesome!

SteveLee
minnow level

Postby SteveLee » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:56 pm

Listed below - Per the SOH Dept. of Agriculture ( http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/admin-rules/subt ... AR-71C.pdf ) there are two allowable tuc species that can be brought into the state. And I agree, it would be awesome to have the temensis up at the lake - what a game fish that would be!

§4-71-6.5
LIST OF CONDITIONALLY APPROVED
ANIMALS
November 28, 2006
State of Hawaii

SCIENTIFIC NAME, COMMON NAME

Cichla ocellaris cichlid, eye-spot; tuconary
Cichla temensis cichlid, spot-line peacock

And here is another website that helps ID the specie:
Peacock Bass website: http://www.acuteangling.com/taxonomy/pe ... ecies.html

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:15 am

Yeah, PLEASE give them to HFFA so they can breed and stock some temensis into "a very large body of freshwater in the central Oahu area" :wink:
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:59 pm

I'll contact James from the Wahiawa Middle School (hatchery) who is a HFFA member. I don't know the fish's sex, but its worth a try. I wonder how many years it would take to get that species established?

BTW, that was a great idea to try and re-produce them!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:42 pm

650 gallons....that is a huge tank I have 90 and that is big. I can't imagine those be good for the largemouth population though. I wonder if they can spawn with the tucs at wilson/hatchery and make hybrids. That would be cool too.

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:15 am

Ca_Bass wrote:650 gallons....that is a huge tank I have 90 and that is big. I can't imagine those be good for the largemouth population though. I wonder if they can spawn with the tucs at wilson/hatchery and make hybrids. That would be cool too.

Big predators put selective pressure for prey to grow bigger faster :wink: Just think how it works for largemouth / bluegill relationship.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:15 am

I like that trane of thought there Ken. I'm not sure of the legalities of introducing another species of fish into the lake, but since the temesis is legal to have in Hawaii, I would "assume" it would be ok to put them in the lake. Don't ask/Don't tell? :lol:

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:19 am

roadwarriorsvt wrote:I like that trane of thought there Ken. I'm not sure of the legalities of introducing another species of fish into the lake, but since the temesis is legal to have in Hawaii, I would "assume" it would be ok to put them in the lake. Don't ask/Don't tell? :lol:

This thread never existed. :wink: Quick Stan, delete it before DLNR sees it. :lol: No post, no evidence. We may have to bribe the online witnesses though. :lol:

HFFA-TC
bass level

Postby HFFA-TC » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi Guys,

I talked to the State and just as I suspected it is NOT okay to release the Temensis into the lake. While it is on the list of fish that is legal to bring into the State, releasing it is another matter. That comes under the Dept. of Agriculture and we have had problems with them before on bringing in the Florida strain of bass. From what the DLNR told me, you can forget about raising the Temensis for eventual release. Since the Fisheries is funded by the Government, we would not be able to raise them legally anyway.

Roadwarriorsvt, if you haven't talked to James yet, you can forget about it. I don't think he would want to risk losing funding to raise the Temensis.
See you on the Lake

MIKE

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:09 pm

I'd never (knowingly) ask him to do anthing illegal and/or anything to put their grant in jepordy. I'm looking in to buying (another) pond and keep the temesis myself, unless I can find them a suitable home. They are awsome fish and put on quite a show during feeding time. 8)

Return to “General Discussion”