Secret Lures, don't show anyone.....

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Secret Lures, don't show anyone.....

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:36 am

This morning I took pictures of the lures that Chris had tied to his rods. Yesterday they caught "18 or 20 peacock bass". The fish were schooling in the morning. After lunch everything slowed way down.

I think the Gold Castmaster and the Red/Gold minnow lure worked best.
Last Sat/Sun in the tournament he weighed in five 3 pound fish and one 4 pounder. (3 fish limit a day) He caught 12 to 15 fish a day.

Don't tell anyone now!

Stan

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

secret lures

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:28 pm

Hey Stan, where's the senko?

Dave Hennessey
bass level

Postby Dave Hennessey » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:28 am

that frog torpedo/spook is pretty unstoppable. We had one of the greatest fall saltwater runs in New England in recent memory and tons of 20-30 pound striped bass were taken on that thing. monster bluefish too. the kastmaster never fails as well.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:31 am

You ever hear of a lure called a Robert's Ranger? A guy from NY brought some out here and we caught GT and Tuna like crazy on those things. Chrome and Red/White.
Stan

typical8o8
angler level

Postby typical8o8 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:07 pm

anyone interested in some Cotton Cordell Ratt'l Spot Minnows? i should be getting a bunch in soon.

Dave Hennessey
bass level

Postby Dave Hennessey » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:34 am

My secret lures

little spook for tons of trevally -

Yo zuri - works for everything in every state

all in Ala wai. No rashes to speak of and I still have all my limbs.

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:33 am

Hi Dave!

Is there a Spook colour that they particularly like? And is there a Yo-Zuri colour that they particularly like?

I have a few Spooks in my tackle box (blue/white, redhead/pearl, and black/chrome). Have you use those with any success?

What is the size of the Spook that you were using? When you say little Spooks, do you mean the Zara Puppy instead of the Zara Spook?

Mahalo in advance.

Ken

Dave Hennessey
bass level

Postby Dave Hennessey » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:55 am

Ken,

Yep, Zara Puppy...I believe I had a frog color one on, silver also worked well. The trevally, try as they might, weren't able to inhale the bigger spook. I did catch barracuda on the big spook though. White worked well. As far as the yo zuri, that green/yellow one shown in the picture or just the standard silver minnow. If you go far enough up the ala wai near the hotels there are some buoys in the water and the golf course on the other side. The fish seem concentrated here.

There really are a ton of fish in the canal and I've been assured its ok to fish there. Just dont eat em. :)

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:54 pm

Much appreciated for the info Dave! It helps me to organize some tackle to bring to Hawaii.

I have read enough bad things about Ala Wai that I know not to even touch the water there...maybe I'll Purell my hands after every time I touch a fish :roll: Or I can just use my Berkley Big Game Fish Grip :lol:

I know exactly where you are talking about regarding the hotels and the golf course on Ala Wai (thanks to Google Map :lol:). How wide is that channel there? Have you fish the very very end of the channel?

Is that trevally a typical representative of the ones you'll get in Ala Wai? Will you get bigger ones in the canal? Aside from the whites, are there blue fins (Omilu) in the canal as well?

Thanks again :D

Dave Hennessey
bass level

Postby Dave Hennessey » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:24 pm

Ken

No prob,

I had some hits from bigger trevally, and I'm guessing they probably get about 2 pounds in there. I doubt you'll find a 10 pounder that far up, but I may be wrong. As far as type of fish, you'll have to check with someone better informed about that. I just walked out of my hotel (literally 10 feet away) and started casting :)

I went pretty far up, though not all the way. Fishing seemed good throughout. Look for bait breaking. The width of the canal, I dunno. I casted at least 2/3 across it. There are some mangroves I think on the other side where barracuda like to hang out. Also look right at your feet on the hotel side, I caught a few that werent more than a foot or two off the bank.

Regarding the ala wai itself, its probably ok. If it was THAT polluted, I'd doubt theyd let anyone near the thing. The major sewage spill was almost a year ago, and they are racing canoes there now, so I wouldn't overly worry. I even talked to a doctor in Honolulu and said that the chance of catching something from the water is "extremely unlikely". Take that for what its worth.

happy fishing

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:12 pm

Thanks again Dave! Much appreciated. :D

I'm not too worried about the water in the Ala Wai...but I will take are though. :D

Return to “General Discussion”