I'm a Lurker.... but dang do I miss Wahiawa Reservoir

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Crash
King Sushi level

I'm a Lurker.... but dang do I miss Wahiawa Reservoir

Postby Crash » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:46 pm

I check this site weekly and my wife thinks I'm crazy since we now live in Arizona.

Long story, short.

I was born and raised on Oahu and grew up fishing Wilson. I first started fishing from the shore (behind the school...cant remember the name) and also by the sewage pipes. Eventually, I got myself a Basstracker in 1991 and fished about 3x a week from that boat. I also hit Da' Creek for Smallies more times than I can count...and there is no way I'm hiking up and down that trail again in my old age.

I dont think there were ever Red Devils in the lake when I fished it, at least I never caught any. I mainly targetted LMB's and Tucs and always caught my Tucs on Chartrues RoadRunna's and live bait. Also caught a lot of Pongee (are they still in the lake?).

Just saying hi and missing the water at the reservoir. Hope to get back home soon.
Crash

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:16 am

Welcome.... I remember fishing the sewage outfall... so many talipia you had a hard time to keep from snagging one. I hardly ever see a pongee any more... remember using a spinner bait and only going for pongee.

So how is the fishing in Arizona these days... HOT. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, couldn't help myself.
What kind of fishing do dyou do there?
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Crash
King Sushi level

Postby Crash » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:39 pm

I remember the Tilaps being really concentrated there. Tons of them.

Yes Stan, I remember the days when you could actually target Pongees (especially when they came up for a gulp of air). We caught a lot on live bait back then and a few on texas rigged power worms.

Fishing in AZ is non-existent for us right now. 115 degrees really isnt that much fun to hang out in. We'll have to wait until September to do any quality fishing. BTW, its 93 degrees right now....and it's almost 2am.

When it's cool enough we usually fish for LMB's or striped bass down here in the desert. Other than that, we head to the higher elevations and fish for trout in the summer.

Oh yeah, what's the word on Kokee? Did they stop stocking due to budget cuts or is there still a season? As I recall, they opened the season in August...of course that was almost 20 years ago.
Crash

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:43 am

The trout hatchery was taken in by the Trout Unlimited club. I think they are working with Punahou School with the Trout in the Classroom program.

The kids raise the trout and then stock them in lakes and streams. It's funded by TU. The Punahou students already have a program where they do stream resturation in Kokee, so this fits right into their science program at the school.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “General Discussion”