Another smelly day.....

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

pogigod
bass level

Another smelly day.....

Postby pogigod » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:29 pm

I spent my 2 hour lunch fishing again. Decided to go with my old method of catching a bait fish on one rod then switching to another rod and casting it out deep to try to catch a peacock or LMB. Anyway I had just hooked a small panfish(all silver no idea what it was) about the size of a quarter, then 2 Large peacock's show up. one was about 2 lbs and the other seemed to be about 4-5lbs and they just literally started chilling under the log i was standing on trying to catch the baitfish.... I must have tried for about 20 min with the baitfish the size of a quarter trying to get them to bite.... They would just swim right up to and open their mouths and stop... It was almost as if they just wanted to scare it away... eventually my bait fish died so i took it off and tried a small repella.... they didnt even look at it..... About 40 min after they showed up and just sat there underneath me i got annoyed and decided maybe to try to snag the big one, mainly cause it would be the largest bass I've ever caught if i got him.... Throw out a single hook went to snag hit the bass he swam around in a circle then just kind of sat there looking at me with an expression like. "did you really just try to do that?" I was about to give up since all i brought down was some bread hooks and a single rapella.... when i noticed there was a little plastic worm and hook stuck in the log i was standing on....

I put it on my line and tried it.... Both the bass kept chasing it just like the baitfish, trying to scare it away from their shade almost..... I was reeling my line in because i was giving up when i snagged the tree i was standing on right at water level..... Then the smaller of the two decided to hit the lure.... he pulled it right off the log and started swimming straight into the thick weeds along the shore... fought him for about 10 second in there before he finally wrapped up in enough weeds to spit the hook.....

*sigh* I'm about to call it quits for this lake for a bit, and just start pier fishing again....

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:55 pm

The bait fish was most likely a small Tilopia. Peacocks usually love them. Sounds like you may have been near the peacocks nest.

pogigod
bass level

Postby pogigod » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Maybe but I doubt it, I fish there almost every day and have yet to seen them before

Return to “Fishing Reports”