Is This A Record Number of Bluegill

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:38 pm

more importantly till the pics are verified!! hahaha

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:56 pm

For more info go to Hawaiibluegillfishing.com Just kidding.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:04 am

Stan Wright wrote:New State Record!
New State Record!
New State Record!
:D

Records not official till the paperworks done.
:twisted:

This was my father-in-laws big BG. Mine was just a little larger (naturally!). We were unaware of the State Record and threw them both back! :evil: I'll be contacting DLNR just to verify the proceedure for claiming a state record. I'll post it up for you guys.

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:58 pm

I looked up the state record for bluegill and it shows 8 oz. Is that correct ? Threw back the first one I ever caught at the lake last year... and it was at least 8 oz. Sorry, no pics, but I believe it was the fish responsible for the great bluegill spawn that we are enjoying now.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:20 am

You are correct. The State record is only 8 oz., set in 2000 by a lady that was learning to fly fish. I don't think any BG record existed before that. No one ever submitted one I guess.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:15 pm

She caught it on her 3rd cast. The record befor that was 6 Oz. and we had been catching larger ones all the time.... so we ask if she wanted to set an new state record and she thought it was a great idea.

After a few casting lessons with the fly rod ( she is a fantastic saltwater angler with spinning gear) we headed off to the lake. And the rest is history.

She kept the BG in her fish pond several years before it finally died. She called me to tell me the sad news.

I witnessed a guy catching a 12 Oz bluegill and helped him fill out the paperwork and gave him the pictures.... I guess he never turned in the application. Another fly fisherman by the way.
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:02 am

EXPERIMENT

Since there are so many BGs and so easy to catch, I'm gonna try to relocate some from main basin area to way up on the north fork. I'd like to get them well established up there so my granddaughter and family can catch them w/o having to go out on the boat and dedicate a half a day to it, just walk down to our area and catch. Yesterday I caught another PB as far as numbers. Caught 40. I took 37 BGs way up the northfork to begin the experiment.

FEEDBACK

Let me know what you think.

1) Great idea. Keep putting them up there, provide habitat & food and they'll flourish.

2) Its a waste of time. They'll get so scattered and just swim back to the main basin.

3) Your opinion here___________________________ .

pogigod
bass level

Postby pogigod » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:31 am

just to comment on the LMB eating a bluegil, That used to be my fishing strat back when i was a kid in New Jersey, me and my bro would try to catch the smallest sunfish then but a big hook through its lips and then splash him all accross the top of the water near Large bass hideouts, Bass would just get pissed off at the sunfish and attack it just to kill not even to eat it, but that was our method on catching 3+lbs bass..... here when the water level was really low i would catch the small baitfish on a one rod with bread then switch to my bigger rod and cast them right on the edge of the cliff and let them free float.... ALWAYS caught a 1lb+ fish with that strat.... but now that the water level has gone way back up I've had ZERO fish with that strat in 2-3 months :(

Return to “Fishing Reports”