Chance Sighting! Koi

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Chance Sighting! Koi

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri May 21, 2010 7:50 am

Thurs I was talking story at Nervous Waters and was told that someone saw about 4 very large ornamental koi that appeared to have been dumped into the lake. They were described as white & black and orange & white. While at a grassy spot near BSA Is., I see two huge koi go cruising by, fitting the description to a tee! They really do look like they should be swimming around da Pagoda restaurant! Beautiful fish. I wonder if they have any instinctive survival skills though?

BillFHM3C
bass level

Postby BillFHM3C » Fri May 21, 2010 11:31 pm

Seeing as they are huge I don't think there's anything in the lake that can touch them. But their offspring will make excellent food for the bass!
The Worst Day Fishing beats the Best Day Working HANDS DOWN!!!

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

koi

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sun May 23, 2010 2:41 am

I saw some pics of the koi on Clay's Blog. The lake used have quite a few large koi in it. Now mostly the common black carp.

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Sun May 23, 2010 6:29 am

Koi are basically common carp breed for ornamental purposes. After a few generations, most of the koi will have reverted back to the green and golden colourations of the common carp. I don't think the fish itself changes colours...just that some of the offsprings that have the typical orange/white/black colourations are more conspicuous and fall prey easier than the drab coloured siblings.

A friend of mine used to keep koi and breed them...there are always a number of offsprings that has the natural colourations within each brood.
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun May 23, 2010 6:44 am

I heard tell that Many Moons Ago when the NCO club at Schofield
re-modeled thay dumped all the koi from their fish tank into the lake.
I remember seeing lots of colorful koi in the lake back then.

We saw a beautiful red and chite one on the North Fork by the pineapple field. Easy 6 or 7 pounds.... but he wasn't interested in any flys we put by his nose.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue May 25, 2010 9:00 pm

Saw that same big red/white Koi again to day over by the pineaple field..... it still wouldn't take the fly I offered.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

tkpeltier
bass level

Koi sightings plus!

Postby tkpeltier » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:00 pm

I saw those Koi last weekend all the way down right before you go around the corner by I think it's called "Joe's Point". There's usually a rusty old chair sitting down there. They were huge, all of them were calico with orange, black, and white. I thought it was a massive Red Devil at first. On the same trip I had another rare nature sighting. I went all the way down to where the water comes in over the big bolders. It was my first time back there so I was admiring the little waterfall and how clear the water was when I heard a splash right next to my boat. I went to investigate and I saw a big 8" three horned chameleon that must have fell out of the tree above me making his way to the bank. Crazy to see one of those in nature, they go for over $400 in the pet shops back home in PA. I watched him for a little bit finally get on his way back up the tree. I wish I had a camera, I love Hawaii sometimes. Almost makes up for the lack of good bass lakes. Almost.
Catch and Release!

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:32 pm

That was a Jackson cameleon you saw. They go for $10-20.00 in pet stores here. Sounds like you haven't been here long enough to land 2-3 dozen peacocks in an afternoon. Peacocks are even more agressive than the meanest Florida strain LMB!! Wait until late summer!! 8)

Return to “General Discussion”