Did you all see this?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

JeffFaulkner
bass level

Did you all see this?

Postby JeffFaulkner » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:56 am

25.1 lbs of adrenaline.

This monster was caught in my neck of the woods. Southern Caliornia has some great fisheries with some monster Largemouth. He foul hooked it so the IGFA wouldn't give him the record.

The poor guy has set the bar pretty high for himself for future fishing trips.
Last edited by JeffFaulkner on Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Piscatur non solum Piscator' ~ There’s more to fishing than catching fish

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:36 pm

Actually, the IGFA disallows intentionally foul hooking, so they will review it.

Article~

Ethical fisherman declines record
It is one of the last great pinnacles of outdoor sports: the 74-year-old largemouth bass world record.

However, Carlsbad, Calif., angler Mac Weakley did just that by boating a 25-pound, 1-ounce largemouth bass from Dixon Lake near Escondido, Calif., on March 21.

Then, he let it go.

Weakley is part of a small circle of anglers who fish almost fanatically for the next world record largemouth bass. Considering that many experts believe the fish would be worth millions of dollars to the angler, it doesn't seem like such a crazy venture after all. With sponsorship deals, lure endorsements, personal appearances and a standing $1 million offer from the Big Bass Record Club, the next record holder would be one lucky fisherman.

This story contains enough twists and turns to fill several pages of newsprint, but it ultimately turns into a feel-good story that bears repeating. That is, if the matter is truly concluded and greed doesn't rear its head.

Dixon Lake is well known to big-bass anglers as having produced many huge fish, including one caught by Weakley's close friend Jed Dickerson in 2003 that initially weighed more than the world record until it began regurgitating food prior to being weighed on a certified scale. Weakley believes the two bass are actually one and the same.

Buying a camping permit to bypass a line of day fisherman waiting at the gate, the anglers were the first on the water. After only a few minutes of fishing, they hooked the bass.

After a tough fight witnessed by several other anglers and caught on video tape, Weakley boated a fish that had all their hearts racing. Weighing it on brand-new digital scales, the fish eclipsed the old record of just over 22 pounds. There was only one major problem: The fish had been foul-hooked below the dorsal fin.

To their immense credit, the anglers did the unthinkable: They released the fish. After taking several photos, they slipped the fish back into the water to the likely horror of all the other fisherman who knew what they were witnessing.

Weakley initially told the press that he planned on submitting the fish to the International Game Fish Association (IGFA), even though the rules of the IGFA state that any record fish may not be "intentionally" foul-hooked. As all the witnesses agree this was not the case, the IGFA has stated they would review the application.

However, Weakley did several interviews later and made it clear that he had no intention of pursuing the record, thereby avoiding all the controversy that would undoubtedly ensue if the record were granted.

As Weakley told the Web site BassFan.com, "I'm setting the record straight, telling you right now, it's not the record, and should not be the record. I think this thing has gotten way out of control. The thing I want to get across is, let's keep the integrity of it, keep that right there at all times."

At this moment, somewhere in the depths of a small reservoir near Escondido swims the biggest winning lottery ticket in the sport of angling. Let's hope some boy or girl armed with a battered old spincasting reel feels that heartstopping tug.

We wouldn't mind if Mac Weakley got another shot, either.

chris16
bass level

law

Postby chris16 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:38 pm

yea but didnt they they say that it was illegal to fowlhook a fish in that state???? so thats why there no going to count it as a world record??????

anyways i give him props i would give it to him.

Return to “General Discussion”