Lake Wilson has changed.

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

tkki1230
angler level

Lake Wilson has changed.

Postby tkki1230 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:20 pm

New member here. I just visited Lake Wilson today for the first time in 10 years. I wanted to catch some Bluegills to put into my fishpond. Wow, things have really changed. There still were a lot of Tucs, but nothing else. I used to see these huge disgusting schools of sickly looking Tilapia, but I didn't see any today. And there were choke Red Devils all over the place. I expected to see a lot of those Jewel Cichlids too, but I didn't see any. Did they die off? And there were absolutely zero Bluegills. What's going on? Are there any Bluegills left? If so, where the hell are they?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:59 pm

There are a few bluegils, but not many. When the salvania (sp) took over the lake a few years ago, most of the bluegils died due to the method used to kill the vegitation. The piss poor water level is only about 1 year recent.

tkki1230
angler level

Postby tkki1230 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:56 pm

I also noticed that the sewer outfall is gone. Where is all the nasty water going now? That used to be my favorite spot.

Are there other spots to go, other than the areas across from Scholfield? I tried driving around, but all of my old spots are gone.

The areas by the pineapple fields look closed off.

All of the spots by the boat launch look dry.

I tried looking above the golf course. I remember there used to be a small dam? The road is blocked off now.

What about by the Intermediate school? Is the water level too low?

Thanks for any replies.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:14 pm

The're still dumping water from the sewage plant into the lake. There is a big 3 foot pipe leading out into the middle of the lake. It's in that cove just north of the old "waterfall".

The talapia don't hang out there any more, they're scattered all over the lake now. It's a shame about the bluegill. We are starting to see more, but it's still not as good as it use to be before the sulvenia molesta. The red devil fishing is good. Probably will be better as the water warms up.

In recent years the peacock action has seen some fantastic catches. Especially off points using live bait. You want to catch 25 fish, you bring 25 baits. Want to catch 100, bring 100 live baits. Can't wait for that action to start again...

This very low water is something very new. Today there were 13 slabs showing at the bottom of the boat ramp. It's the lowest I've seen it in a long time. The good news is the small fish don't have any grass to hide in. Find the bait fish along the shore and you'll find the peacock bass.

Looks like the peacock bass are starting to go into spawning mode. Lots of the larger ones have that big bump on their heads. I sure hope we can keep a concistant water level through the spring. Not the up and down, up and down like last year.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Stan Wright wrote:I sure hope we can keep a concistant water level through the spring. Not the up and down, up and down like last year.

I think this will be the key in having fishing like "the good old days". It doesn't matter so much what the level is, as long as it is consistant. I agree, last years up/down/up like a damn Otis elevator hampered the fishing.

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:08 am

yeah the waters still dropping about a half a foot to a foot aday it looks like kind of wondering how low the waters going to be in the summer its winter and the water is low

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:23 pm

yep waters still dropping, wonder if its the lack of rain or what??? but its dropping much slower than last year and with no rain in sight........... anyhow looks and sounds like the spawn will be a go on time this year! march madness! jeweled cichlids had thier day, then disappeared im kinda hoping the red devils go that way too. id rather have the crayfish back and the fat bass that go with em!! bluegills are returning but will need alot of years to make a comback, and grass beds in the water would help.i have hope for the bass comming back,recently have caught lots of small 10-12 in bass that were fat and healthy, a good sign in my book. just remember low water means ALL the small fish are exposed to predators,even the tuc and bass fry!! be kind to nesters!

tkki1230
angler level

Postby tkki1230 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:06 pm

I noticed a trail by the north fork bridge on the NS side. Are there any good spots in there? All of my old spots like the sewer and the pineapple fields are closed off. I even tried looking at Malulu Place but it looks like private property now.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:25 pm

those trails lead to homeless camps. waters way low for northfork anyhow. best bet is kunia side and all those points along that side,lotsa room to walk now. or try ns side of kemoo farm by the condos. you can park at the heiau and still trek into morgans but watch out for your car and the california grass.

tkki1230
angler level

Postby tkki1230 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:36 am

BASSTRACKER wrote:those trails lead to homeless camps. waters way low for northfork anyhow. best bet is kunia side and all those points along that side,lotsa room to walk now. or try ns side of kemoo farm by the condos. you can park at the heiau and still trek into morgans but watch out for your car and the california grass.

Sorry, but where is the Heiau? I tried looking for parking by Kemoo Farm and the Condos, but it doesn't look like there is any public parking available.

It used to be so easy driving into the pineapple fields.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:06 am

I think he's talking about the "Birthing Stone" at Kam Hyw./Whitmore Ave. At that intersection, there is a small parking area in the old pineapple field, walk straight passed the Birthing Stone and you will come out near Morgan's Point. Google that intersection.

tkki1230
angler level

Postby tkki1230 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:40 am

roadwarriorsvt wrote:I think he's talking about the "Birthing Stone" at Kam Hyw./Whitmore Ave. At that intersection, there is a small parking area in the old pineapple field, walk straight passed the Birthing Stone and you will come out near Morgan's Point. Google that intersection.

Is it safe to park, or is there a lot of break ins? Hows the homeless situation on that side?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Its about as safe as anywhere, which means not to safe in my opinion. I definitely would not leave any valuables in your vehicle. Not even a cheap bag. Guys will do a "smash & grab" to steal your cheap bag only to discover it's empty! Don't give them a reason to break in. Parking anywhere is just a crap shoot these days.

fisher dude
King Sushi level

Postby fisher dude » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:31 pm

If you walk to morgans the cali grass is 4-6ft high there's a way to get there I see a guy at morgans early in the morning sometimes but I have no idea how he gets there the grass is thick. There might be a narrow trail but he's the only hardcore guy. And the fishing at morgans hasn't been all that good. Not worth it if you got to walk. The point is totally out of the water and drops off. Sucks the water is low you could check the intermediate even if the back coves is empty you could walk along the sides of the main river.

tkki1230
angler level

Postby tkki1230 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:57 pm

fisher dude wrote:If you walk to morgans the cali grass is 4-6ft high there's a way to get there I see a guy at morgans early in the morning sometimes but I have no idea how he gets there the grass is thick. There might be a narrow trail but he's the only hardcore guy. And the fishing at morgans hasn't been all that good. Not worth it if you got to walk. The point is totally out of the water and drops off. Sucks the water is low you could check the intermediate even if the back coves is empty you could walk along the sides of the main river.

It's been at least 20 years since I fished the intermediate. Do you still park on the main road outside the school and walk across the field?

Is there any public access to Blue Boat Point from the shoreline without going thru private property and pissing anyone off?

Return to “General Discussion”