Braid vs monofilament

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Braid vs monofilament

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:46 am

I was wondering what your opinions are on using braid in freshwater fishing. Judging by all the dead line left behind by the livebaiters (I drag up a lot on my lures) I would say most people use mono. I use both. The feel is different. I think braid "floats" more, so your lures ride higher than when using mono. I prefer braid for topwater and fishing wood. I think plugs and jigs "hop" over branches better than mono. I like mono for plugs and spinnerbait.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:28 am

I've had three people tell me they don't care for braided. One says "Just because", the other two say that backlash, etc. is much harder to sort out with braided than mono. I've taken their word for it and never tried braided.

adpetree
bass level

Postby adpetree » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:55 am

fluorocarbon, fluorocarbon, fluorocarbon!!!!
Thanks,

Adam

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:31 pm

15 lb Power Pro braid and a floro leader is my choice !

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:45 pm

i remember when spiderwire first came out, they advertised that "strikes felt like running over a brick with a lawnmower" yes it was certainly more of a shock when a fish got on.i think they all got a purpose.mono had more float,flouracarbone more sink and less visable, braid tuff as hell and smaller diameter per strength ratio. i mix and match depending on what im throwing and the conditions, luv em all!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:55 pm

Get yourself a small crochet hook.... so easy to untangle both braid and mono. :D

I also mix and match depending on what I'm after or the method of fishing.

Definatly braid for bottom fishing. I use braid with spinning and bait casting reels.

Braid and a topshot of mono. The knot diagrams in the Power-Pro box are great.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:25 pm

I like to use braid if I need sensitivity, but this is rarely the case when tuc fishing. I like the lack of memory and the longevity of it on the spool. This all goes to hell when I get a big backlash. The braid is toast and costs an arm and a leg to replace. My favorites are Sufix Performance Braid and Spiderwire Stealth. I have yet to find a reliable braid-to-mono knot though. I've used the double uni, albright, and reverse albright, but none have been as strong as I'd like. Also, it's a bit unnerving when you hear a loud noise as the knot goes through the guides on every cast.
I find that lately I've been favoring fluorocarbon (Seaguar Invis-X). It is easy handling, sensitive, and has decent knot strength compared to other fluoros. It is a bit stretchy though.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:58 am

One thing that will cure the line memory is Kevin VanDam's Line & Lure Conditioner. I thought the product was kinda BS but I was sent a free sample when I bought a related product. I tried it and liked it so well, I bought a full sized bottle.

http://www.lineandlure.com/ and http://www.lineandlure.com/freshwater/ :wink:

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:00 pm

skunked try a surgeons knot or a bllod knot,its what i use to tie tippets to flyline, excellent strenth and low profile for gliding thrue guides. i have used both with great success tieing mono leaders to braid when the fish get spooky! if you have problems still try a dap of super glue on the knot,dosent seem to affect the strenth of the line.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Yeah, I agree on the KVD line and lure conditioner. I've been using it for several years now. It's much better than Real Magic.
I never had confidence in the blood knot, but I'll give it, and the surgeons knot a try. Thanks.

hef
bass level

Postby hef » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:41 am

I would have to agree with Stan, it depends on the situation. 80% of the time I'm usually using Inviz-X flourocarbon, but I always have a rods with superbraid for topwater/timber and the only time I use mono is for treble hooks.
[url]if[/img]

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 am

I've been real happy with Yo-Zuri Hybrid fishing line for fresh water as well as ultralight salt. I only use braids in saltwater where larger line capacity is needed or when bottom fishing where low stretch aids in feel the bite.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

line conditioner

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:51 am

Rats!!!!!!! During the summer I was looking for a line conditioner. I couldn't decide which one was better so I bought the reel magic. Oh well, next order I will try kvd's product. While fishing for halalu your line will get twisted a lot, was hoping to cut done on the birdnest.

So far the best braid to mono knot that I have tried is the uni to uni knot. The others will slip, even when glued. Keep in mind this was for lines of different diameter, 20 lb braid to 20 lb mono for example.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:07 am

Just got done installing upgraded bearings and lubing my Curado 201E7 the other day. Hopped in the car and off to the lake. First cast, huge backlash. There goes about $10 worth of Sufix Performance Braid down the tubes! I forgot to set the spool pins (centrifugal brake weights) before casting. Too excited I guess. Moron.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:51 am

I was watching a fishing show last week and they were showing how to use a casting reel...
First tighten the tention screw.....
Then back it off till your lure just barley starts to fall from the rod tip.
(if your a beginner loosen it just enough so you have to jiggle the rod to get it to fall)
Next, take the side plate off and adjust the magnetic centrifical break weights to max setting.

You should now be able to cast and not backlash even if your thumb is not on the spool.

As you get more practice and your thumb gets "educated" a little....
you can start backing off the tension screw. That will give you a little more distance. As you get better you can also start adjusting the centrifical break a little more.

Also get a tiny crochet needle.... they are great for removing backlashes.
:twisted:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “General Discussion”