Baby catfish for Giant bass

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

mikeb
bait level

Baby catfish for Giant bass

Postby mikeb » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:24 pm

I was stationed at schofield from 86-90 and fished Wilson alot...I once met a man on the lake who I observed catch several Largemouth Bass all 5 to 7 pounds each...He waved me over and told me he was fishing with baby catfish 3-4 inches long that he raised in a old bath-tub......he gave me a few and I caught a 6 pounder and lost several bigger ones.....This ocurred down near the island( near the dam) :D ...there was a sharp drop on the south side of the island and he would catch a bass on every throw.

Has anyone else used these for bait?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:15 pm

I haven't used small catfish as bait, but I guess they'd work, that is if my wife would let me use them. She thinks the baby catfish are sooooo cute! :roll:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:21 pm

Back in the '70s those "baby catfish" were used by lots of guys. They were puntat (sp).... Chinese Catfish. Great bait.

The guys would catch them in the streams and also raise them in tanks.
You probably are speaking of Bob Kincade, he used them a lot.

There are stories of giant catfish in the Rio Grand River around the Big Bend area of Texas. My brother use to do canoe trips there. If you wanted to catch the really big catfish... you had to use the small 5 to 6 pound catfish as bait. (everything is bigger in Texas)
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:39 pm

I would use baby hammerheads if it would help me catch a 7 pound largemouth !

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:24 pm

bob actually gave my dad and i a 4-5lb bass that spit up a puntat while we took it home in our bucket........ ahhhhhh the days of non catch and release. i still refer to kemoo island as kinkaid island quite often, it was his favorite spot.

Crash
King Sushi level

Postby Crash » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:42 pm

1st thing that came to mind when I read this, like Stan said, was puntat. They were a great bait back in the day. Does anyone still use them?
Crash

mikeb
bait level

Postby mikeb » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:00 pm

What ever happened to Mr. Kincaid?

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:34 pm

I used to read Mr. Kincaid's article every month in HFN when I was young. He was pretty much my idol, even though I had never met him. I once wrote a letter to him asking for advice about fishing the lake. He could have just ignored it, but instead he sent me back a hand-written 6 page letter! I still have it, some 20 years later. What a nice thing to do for a complete stranger.
I don't know the whole story about his death. Maybe Stan can help, but I think he had a stroke or heart attack in his boat while fishing the lake. He died doing what he loved to do.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

tkpeltier
bass level

baby catfish for bass

Postby tkpeltier » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:13 pm

Back home in PA a lot of people use baby catfish for smallmouth bass in rivers like the Juniata and Sesquehanna. They're the best bait you can use when it comes to live bait but hard to come by. I got a lot of bumps and bruises as a kid stumbling around rocks in the river trying to net baby cats.
Catch and Release!

Return to “Fishing Reports”