Report From The Lake

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

tucmaster
master baiter level

Report From The Lake

Postby tucmaster » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:15 pm

As Stan indicated yesterday, the lake is at or near its highest level. The water is slightly murky but still has good clarity (about 1-1/2 ft.). The water level is way up into the shorline grass, making for exellent tuc cover. The tuc action is off the hook right now.

Early on, we watched unidentified fish surface-busting the shad in the middle of the lake in front of us. Minutes later, we landed and released three healty largemouth bass in the 2 lb. range that took our live baits. All three were not tagged, a good sign of successful natural spawning. We also got a skinny looking oscar today.

In terms of numbers, today was easily the best day of tuc action we've had in years. It was literally a continuous parade of tucs cruising the shoreline grass. At our shoreline spot, using 6 lb. test and live bait with a split shot about a foot above the hook, we landed and released 39 and 51 tucs respectively, averaging just over 2.5 lbs. apiece, for a total weight of over 230 lbs. The largest was a 5 lb. 3 oz. (again) male and we broke off at least 3 other fish over 5 lbs. on our By the end of our 5 hr. marathon, we were exhausted and trying to keep our baits away from the smaller pesky 2 lb. fish. Looking foward to next week.

NOTE: I live in Honolulu, far from the lake, and I only fish once a week, so I don't have the luxury of knowing the current lake conditions before I actually drive up to the lake, unless someone posts it in this forum. Because current lake conditions are not regularly posted, "Report From The Lake" is strictly intended to provide fishermen near and far with accurate information on current lake conditions, fishing action, occurrences, fishing techniques, etc. "Report From The Lake" is NOT intended as a forum for bragging. And while I do not divulge my favorite fishing spots for reasons previously documented in this forum, I do share all of my decades of Lake Wilson experience on locating good spots, fishing during high and low water conditions, rigging techniques, bait, and other info to help other shore fishermen (see my posts since last year). Fellow shoreliners, like Skunked and Modest Man, have taken tips from the many different posters in this forum, gone out on their own, worked hard, and have found success. So, my apologies to bloggers who see "Report From The Lake" as a braggin' post, and to those who disagree with my choice to keep my few favorite spots, located through decades of trial and error, confidential. Comments or suggestions on how to improve "Report From The Lake" are always welcome. Thanks for your understanding.

Good luck and good fishing. Tucmaster

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:42 am

I do be the shoreline noobie. :D

Not for long though, I'll be up there for almost all day Saturday with a kayak, adventuring around.

Congrats on the nice catch. I'd be happy with 10% of that.

tucmaster
master baiter level

Postby tucmaster » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:43 pm

Modest Man - As you explore, work the pockets and grasslines slowly and you'll locate some really good tuc holes. I often see people buzz through an area that holds tucs and then quickly move on if a couple of casts don't produce strikes. Also, it won't hurt to see where the other boaters are concentrating. And of course, keep reading Stan's posts in this forum.

Yesterday's shoreline action was exceptional (for me) and seems to parallel what Stan has been reporting on at Morgan's Point over the past couple of weeks (see his recent 100+ fish post). So the good tuc action right now appears to be happening all over the lake and not in just a few locations.

By the way, where I fish I am within sight of a dirt point similar to Morgan's Point, and similar to what Stan's been reporting at Morgan's Point, I saw tucs going absolutely hog wild busting bait up against the shore. When you start kayaking, you may want to work the points with live bait, spoon or minnow-type lure as you go.

Good luck and good fishing.

leoric
bass level

Postby leoric » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:09 pm

Modest Man,

What kind of kayak do you have? Mine is a Scupper Ocean Kayak. (Looks exactly like this but without the extra gadgets.)

What kind of customizations have you done with it? I'll probably see you at the lake on Saturday. Thanks.

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:41 am

I'll be up there on a Malibu Two, but it isn't mine. I'll be renting it from UH ($25 for the weekend).

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:42 pm

Hey Modest_Man, I remember reading that you need a license to rent a kayak. Is it only required for UH or does every kayaker need a license?

Is there anywhere to rent a canoe aside UH? Can a tourist rent a canoe from UH?

Modest_Man
bass level

Postby Modest_Man » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:58 pm

As far as I know you only need a license to rent from UH. Something about liability. The license is good for a year. I had to go out kayaking for a couple hours with a group ($25 with UH ID, I think it's more for the average Joe) and take a test to "qualify".

I know I've seen then for rent in Kailua and what not, I don't know about the license. I do know it's a lot more money, $40 a day or so vs. $20-25 for the weekend.

leoric
bass level

Postby leoric » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:43 pm

surf n sea in haleiwa rents out kayaks but I don't know if they'll let you take it to the lake. Here's the price list on the rental and if you wanna find out other info:
http://www.surfnsea.com/prices.html
Image GOT LIVE BAIT?

Return to “General Discussion”