Sat 5/30/09 -Turtles

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Boatless
King Sushi level

Sat 5/30/09 -Turtles

Postby Boatless » Sun May 31, 2009 8:03 am

One word describes the day- rain. Actually the rain came down hard about 2pm. Actually, it came down in buckets. The red devils were everywhere as were the Tucs. Many many "squadrons" of tucs just cruising the shore and totally ignoring everything including live bait. With a lot of creativity, it was overall a productive day, few tucs, few cats, and few devils- and one turtle. Over the past few months I've been noticing turtles everywhere coming to the surface for air. Do these guys have a predator in the lake? I not, we could see a whole bunch soon. The one I caught was the red ear type about 12" head to tail.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun May 31, 2009 8:08 am

Funny. I've been noticing and catching more and more up at the north fork also. They are almost getting to be a pain in the arse when using chicken livers....

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Sun May 31, 2009 1:10 pm

I wonder if the peacock bass eats baby turtles...largemouth bass occasionally will eat baby turtles...

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:30 am

I've never seen so many turtles.... all sizes. Wonder how they got into the lake? Think someone turned their pet loose?
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:50 am

I hope the tucs do eat the baby turtles or there might be an infestation soon. For you guys who've fished saltwater in Hawaii, many,many years ago there was an infestation of filefish and sand tobys. soooooo many that they were washing up on the beaches because of lack of food. anyone remember that?

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:47 pm

The Red-Ear turtles have been around for years. ABout 5 years ago I came to visit from Maui when I was still living there and took my 2 sons and 2 nephews fishing right from shore on little cove to the left of ramp as you look down (dry at low water) and we caught a half dozen turtles in an hour in that one location. I'm more concerned with the numerous Snapping Turtle sitings as these buggahs can do some real damage of left unchecked.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Return to “Fishing Reports”