the spawn is on!

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

clay
angler level

the spawn is on!

Postby clay » Mon May 04, 2009 7:15 am

in a nutshell, tucs (spawning and not), choke devils, lots of nest busters scouring the shoreline, and even an occasional scraggly dog. we gotta thank bill for taking that thing to the humane society. not quite like summer madness yet... but i heard rumors that the blue boat has been sighted which means ridiculous fishing is on the way! all around good times, though... everyone should get out there. tip of the day? don't forget the foot pedal for your trolling motor at home... :wink:

here is a clip from my website blog that may help some of the new guys up at the lake for identifying spawning fish:

"if you do catch fish on beds or hook one inadvertently, make sure you put it back close to its nest so it can go back to doing what it’s gotta do. if you are not sure if the fish is spawning there are a couple of ways to tell. the spawning male will often times have that trademark bump on their head, the size will vary (as many male parts do) from a slight welt to a vein popping growth on the older, larger fish. spawning fish will also display more mottled black blotches that i call their “summer colors”. some will have shredded fins from making their nests. their fins will also be more bright orange than at other times. as the season goes on many will have hook holes in their mouths from being caught. if you catch one like this go into the spot where you cast your line and you will probably be able to see the nest and the fishes mate. "

clay.

craig with a two pounder.
Nervous Water Fly Fishers
3434 Waialae Ave.
Honolulu, HI 96816
(808)734-7359
www.nervouswaterhawaii.com

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Mon May 04, 2009 7:21 am

Good info Clay. Thanks for sharing. I caught a nice 4 lb. Tuc near Morgan's Point that was on a nest. Saw two more Tucs near the nest. One looked 5-6 lbs.!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon May 04, 2009 9:43 pm

Scraggly dog? Careful how close to the shore you fish.... never can tell just what might jump into your boat.

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Wed May 06, 2009 9:47 pm

just a sidebar,water levels finally stabalize within a few inchs and the spawns commence. coincidence? me thinks not!

Return to “Fishing Reports”