What if they closed down the lake?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

skunked
King Sushi level

What if they closed down the lake?

Postby skunked » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:08 am

I was just bored, and the possibility of the powers that be, closing down our one and only public bass/tuc fishing body of water (please don't count Hoomaluhia) suddenly entered my mind. Because I am a weird local boy who has no interest in saltwater fishing (even though I do it, I'm not passionate about it), I would probably consider moving to the Mainland (Texas: Lake Fork, Falcon, Amistad, Sam Rayburn!!!!) because my in-laws want us to move there anyway. If not, what else would I do with my 22 baitcasting rods and reels that are of absolutely no use in the salt?!
What would you all do?
Cry?
Protest?
Move?
Plan trips to bass fish somewhere else a couple of times per year?
Convert to strictly saltwater?
Sell all your freshwater gear on ebay?
Convert your Koi pond to a little Lake Wilson and catch and release your own pet bass?
Smuggle some bass into Nuuanu Reservoir in your tackle box/backpack when you are supposed to be catfishing?
I'm curious to know what you guys think about this.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

move to Kauai

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:04 pm

Hey skunked, maybe you could move to Kauai. I heard there is a lot of smallmouth bass in the streams. Then again, all the reservoirs where the lm bass are located are private, you would have to make friends with the land owners.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:08 am

Well, remember the Sulvenia Molesta that closed the lake for almost a year?

There is talk of killing all the fish in the lake and starting all over again... but I don't think there is money to do that.

Lots of talk about helping out all the farmers.... they need the water. Wouldn't it be nice to have a few more lakes.

There was lots of talk about draining the lake because they were afraid the dam is unsafe... that's why the lake is kept low.... take stress off the dam. But then again.... the farmers need the water.
And think what the water front property owners on the lake would do.

If they start talking about closing the fishing... I know I'll raise more stink at the capitol than when all those fish in the reflecting pond there died.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:37 am

bump. Anyone else have any opinions? To me, it is scary only having one body of water and all this money and stuff invested in equipment, etc..
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:43 am

There was a meeting last week about the Lake Wilson dam. They want to draw the water level down even more. There is concern about fish kill and also how far the water level can drop before the boar ramp is usless.

Haven't heard anything yet about what all was talked aobut, or any decisions that wer made.

There isn't any money to do much of anything right now anyway.

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:17 pm

I was into drag racing, but after the track closed, I got into 4 wheeling. State is trying to restrict more and more trails, now I'm getting into fishing. If they take the fishing away, I'll probably start a cocaine habit! J/K,.... I'm hoping with the financial budget crunch, they won't do anything with the lake/fish/etc.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:42 pm

The Wahiawa city fathers want Lake Wilson to become part of a plan to promote the town as a tourist and local destination. Something to bring new money into Wahiawa.

Imagine the uproar if suddnly all those water front homes didn't have any water. LOL :lol:

President Obama's FREE money (over a million of OUR tax dollars) is going to upgrade the sewage plant to make the lake cleaner.

The state doesn't have any money to drain the lake and build a new dam.

All those farmers need irigation water.

I don't thing we'll be loosing the lake any time soon.

(Hay, Skunked... on the other hand, if they do close the lake... can I come visit, and fish with you in Texas?????) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:59 pm

In ancient times Kawainui Marsh was clear of vegetation and kept that way with annual community cleaning because it was used as a giant fish pond. Maybe we can talk the state into clearing out Kawainui marsh to it's former glory for historic restoration reason (wink wink) and in the process creating a new though slightly brackish body of water to fish in. I know (don't ask me how) the open waters in the center have sizable Smallmouths or at least used to before the Jewel Cichlid menace appeared several years ago.

Don't wake me up! :wink:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:44 am

I spoke with several people (I forgot their names) who "stocked"
:wink: :wink: :wink:
Peacock bass in those canals on the edge of the swamp....
Sorry, I mean Marsh.
:roll:
None seem to have survived.
But the Red Devils are there now.

JChen
master baiter level

Postby JChen » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:31 pm

pretty sizable red-devils, but dont seem to like my flies...

Return to “General Discussion”