In need of advice...about PFD...?!?!?!

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Rorochan77
bait level

In need of advice...about PFD...?!?!?!

Postby Rorochan77 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:16 am

Hey there Stan and forum members!

So, right off the bat, obviously I'm new to the forum. Also, new to fishing at Lake Wilson. Well anyways, thank goodness I told my boss the truth..that I wanted the night off so I could go fishing all day! His initial response was that I could have at least lied about it, (great boss eh?) but he also mentioned I needed a license before I go so I immediately began my research. I came across this website http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/regs/ch62.pdf. It mentions on page 3 number 7 that I need a PFD. So my question is...SERIOUSLY? Is this absolutely necessary? We're just planning on fishing from the shore not a boat. I've never heard of a rule like this before! Has anybody fishing from shore been asked, cited or fined by DLNR for this? I would really love some feedback of any kind about this.

Thank you!

P.S. I just wanna add...Stan, Let's Go Fishing just can not be re-created to it's former glory when you and Harry sat in those iconic chairs! It's just my own personal opinion, no offense to anyone I hope. Just know that you're greatly admired and still have loyal fans from back then!

BillFHM3C
bass level

Postby BillFHM3C » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:22 am

The easiest way to get the license, and the way I got mine, was go to a sporting goods store and fill out the form, pay your money then get busy fishing. I got mine from the sporting good store on California Ave. quite some time ago. I've been back, but the store is never open. The satellite city hall might be able to help too. Good luck!
The Worst Day Fishing beats the Best Day Working HANDS DOWN!!!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:09 pm

Yes, you need a PFD (Personal Flotation Device), even fishing from shore at Lake Wilson.

Speaking of Let's Go Fishing..... did you see the Japanese guy fishing for squid? Notice he was wearing his PFD. In Japan all fishermen are required to wear one.... especially shore fishermen.

There was talk of requiring Hawaii shore fishermen (ulua fishermen, whippers, and opihi pickers) to wear a PFD.... make it easier to recover the body after a big wave washes them off the rocks.

I think Wal-Mart in Mililani has fishing licenses. Nanko's in Kaneohe does. If you see me at the lake, I have them.

Cost for a resident is $5 for a year.... Out of state licence is $10 for 7 days. A real bargain.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:24 pm

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:54 pm

Yes, Walmart in Mililani sells fishing licenses. A PFD is required by law, even for fishing along the shore. Just like speeding on the highway. You can do it, but sooner or later, you may get caught. Instead of paying a fine to the State General Fund, just use a small fraction of that money to buy a cheap PFD and have it handy. You may not never need it, but someone else may.

Return to “General Discussion”