Swimbaits

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

hef
bass level

Swimbaits

Postby hef » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:19 am

Was going to stock up on some stuff at BPS tonight before I come out to the island. I thought I read somewhere that big swimbaits work there on Wilson. Can you fellas confirm this? Those things are pretty $ and I don't feel like tossing my money away if I don't have too.
[url]if[/img]

hef
bass level

Postby hef » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:35 am

I noticed there have been 45 views of this post with no resonses. I take it that no one has luck with the swimbaits (or you sly anglers are keeping a secret quiet! Lol). Anyway just a reminder for those interested in our Secret Weapon Lure buzzbaits/spinnerbaits, there are only a few days remaining of your 30% off friends/family special. Use this discount code (FCDG7337) it is case sensitive. Check out our website and checkout our line of buzzbaits/spinnerbaits. I guarantee it will be the best buzzr or spinnerbait you've ever used. With the quick snap system, it removes the need to retie lures saving time and money (we know line isn't cheap).

Dusty
[url]if[/img]

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:03 pm

I haven't thrown big swimbaits at Wilson enough to know if they'll produce regularly. One of these days that's all I'm gonna bring out with me so It forces me to keep with it. I'm sure they'll work, I just need to build confidence in em. If you have the confidence I wouldn't tell you you're not gonna catch anything thing, but usually smaller is better at wilson for quantity. All of my larger fish have come on spinnerbaits, crankbaits and large topwaters. Maybe one of the reasons swimbaits might not work as well is the larger fish are way up in the "sticks" and I find it difficult to get a swimbait in there without spooking em. I could be way off about swimbaits not being good baits for Wilson....hell, when I first started fishing the lake about 3 or 4 years back people who saw me fishing with spinnerbaits/crankbaits/plastic worms told me I would catch anything with em.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:01 am

Chris fished with a guy several months ago who wanted to use those big jointed swim baits.... they eased along the shoreline working the bait slowly next to the grass..... ( that can be in 12 foot deep water within 5 feet of the shore.) They didn't get that many strikes.... but the fish they caught were 5 to 7 pound size. Chris was saying they saw 2 and 3 pounders follow, but wouldn't take the lures.

Again, they were going for the "Quality" fish, not "Quantity".

Big swimbaits work.... you just have to spend the time and keep casting.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:41 am

I do not use swimbaits so I am not qualified to answer this question but since you only got 2 responses here is my 2 cents. Taking into consideration that you are only going to fish one day, imo, I would leave the swimbait home. Swimbaits work but there are other baits that are far more productive for lake wilson. On the other hand, it depends on what your goals are. Some people like to use only one kind of bait or techinque even if something else will work better. For example, some people like to use only surface lures even if the fish aren't biting on top. Or maybe you only want to try for trophies. I am not sure if this is the best way to try for trophies but it appears you basically catch big ones on swimbaits. I am also not sure if it is because the big fish are spawners protecting their young( if you are trying for peacocks ).

hef
bass level

Postby hef » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:48 pm

Oh I'm not going for just one day, I'm moving there. But, I currently live 5min from Bass Pro and would like to stock-up while I'm here. Thanks for the response though, good info.
[url]if[/img]

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:07 am

my two cents......... there are times when a moderately sized swimbait(4-8in) will work but dont waste 40$ on anything bigger they may work but alot of time and effort using them would be better spent with other baits and still catch same sized fish with a higher chance in numbers.our forage base is mostly small sized fish and i think this makes the fish wary of such large baits.however! persistence pays and as seen in some posts,if you throw enough baits for a period you will catch something! after all tucs are alpha predators! right now waters wayyyyyyyyyyy to muddy to think bout it and it wont clear up for a month or more so good luck! ohhhhhh ya them 6 in tilapia or bluegill swimbaits! thats what id get were i you.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:47 pm

Hey Stan,

Do large live baits qualify as "swim baits'? :twisted:

Those little pretty gold fish are nice, but I like them 5" - 6" tilapia's.

Hef, when you have time, go over to general discussion for my swim bait .02 cents. 8)

Good luck all

Bass regards, Mel "Kahuna bass"
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Return to “Fishing Reports”