Anyone interested in kayak fishing with me?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ken
King Sushi level

Anyone interested in kayak fishing with me?

Postby Ken » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:14 pm

Hey guys, I'd love to go bottom drift fishing or reef fishing in a kayak when I'm in Oahu in April (well, that's the plan anyways). I don't like going out alone and would love to have a buddy with me.

I'm thinking of renting a kayak at Kailua Bay from Hawaiian Watersports. It's only $50 for a full day if you book online. Half day is $40...so for an extra $10, I'd rather book a full day.

Anyone of you interested in being my kayak fishing buddy?

Stan, I'd still love to go fishing with you for bonefish and/or peacock bass if you have a free day (or free days). There's nothing better than fishing with a good friend :D If we can do some reef drifting for small game like they do on Capt Clay does on Molokai, that would be sweet. I've yet to catch a moana!!! I think bottom drifting/jigging the reef is my best chance at catching one :?

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:50 pm

Moana??? You want to catch them with spinning or fly rod? Sand Island, walk close to the shore and cast a small gold fly or spoon.
Nice and slow..... Nothing to it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

See you when you get here.
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:27 pm

:lol: Yeah, moana. As common as they are, I've yet to catch one! :(

Okay, I'll try both fly and spoon. I'd assume a gold Kasmaster is something that I should get and try out :lol:

Maybe that's the problem. I'm reeling fast most of the time to avoid snagging the reef :lol: I'll use a lighter weight or lure next time and slow right down.

See you soon! It's an agonizing long wait!!! :evil: :lol:

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:30 pm

Oh Ahnkochee, I think I have a solution to fishing Enchanted Lake...all I need to do is rent a kayak and paddle up river for about 2km and I'll be fishing Enchanted Lake! :lol:

Hope to get an awa'awa if I can. They look like a lot of fun on the fly rod! :D

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:46 pm

Ken wrote:Oh Ahnkochee, I think I have a solution to fishing Enchanted Lake...all I need to do is rent a kayak and paddle up river for about 2km and I'll be fishing Enchanted Lake! :lol:

Hope to get an awa'awa if I can. They look like a lot of fun on the fly rod! :D

You'll have to run the gauntlet of signs which start a quarter mile from the lake, then avoid the security speed boat. Good luck. :lol:

Ken, check out http://forum.aquahunters.com/index.php and let them know your plans, there are allot of "Aqua Hunters" in Kailua who would be more than happy to join you in Kailua Bay and show you the ropes. I'd love to take you out in the lake as my guest but this depends on my recovery rate, I'm scheduled for my 3rd back surgery on October 23rd and recovery time is about 6 month (that's how long I had to wear a aluminum cage on my body after my last back surgery) plus another 3 to 6 months of physical therapy. I may be mobile enough to fish lightly even with support cage in final months so we'll play it by ear. Join Aqua Hunters and see what you think, tell them Ahnkochee (Uncle Ji) sent you. :wink:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:30 am

Hm...I see...there goes the problem again :lol:

Are they in the river? Maybe I can fish in the river and not in the lake :roll: :lol:

Thanks for the site. I'll sign up tonight! :D

And you take your time recovering. Hm...could I just say I'm your guest while I'm fishing alone in that lake?

"Yeah, my friend just live over at that house and he just went into the house because it's getting too hot." :roll: :lol:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:41 am

Ken,

Clay and I can always take you in the Ala Wai??????
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Don't worry about the moana and loosing lures... you fish really close to shore. :wink:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:51 am

That's fun too Stan! Are there any awa'awa in the Ala Wai? I need to add that ladyfish on my fish list :lol:

Tick tock, tick tock...just waiting for the time to count down :lol: It has already begun :lol:

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:26 am

Ken- I'll be looking for you at Aqua Hunters tonight, you'll not find a more dedicated good fun bunch of kayak fishers full of aloha anywhere.
Yes you can fish the 1.5 miles of canal (Kaelepulu Stream) between Kailua Beach and Kaelepulu Pond (Enchanted Lake), and there are the same species available though the fishing pressure is higher due to illegal net fishermen in the canal (that DLNR refuses to enforce). :?
I'm gonna plan on taking you into the lake and hope i'm well enough not to postpone. :wink:
When you get into the Aqua Hunters forum you'll see my latest post from this last Saturday. My partner Evan fishing from his kayak caught a very decent 30" 'Awa'awa right off Kailua Beach dragging a lure, and a while back I caught my largest 'Awa'awa right outside the shore break and this one was over 36" so you can catch bigger 'Awa'awa (trolling a minnow lure parallel with the shore about 100 yards out) in the ocean, the lake has quantity but the biggest I caught in there so far in 40 years was maybe 24". I'm looking forward to seeing you in the Aqua Hunters forum, and meeting you in person in April.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

OahuDave
bass level

Postby OahuDave » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:29 pm

Ken definitely follow Uncle Ji's suggestion about Aquahunters. I have 2 kayaks here so keep in touch on AH (Oahu_Dave) there as well or here and if we are around I am sure we could meet up. There are a lot of guys there in KaiBay who are active so we should be able to hook you up. I have an extra yak I put together for friends that you could borrow. Again lets just keep in touch and when the time gets closer see what everyone is up to. We are going to toss the yaks into Wilson after thanksgiving as well. Should be fun. North Shore is getting a bit messy for me this time of year.
Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao; pa`a ka waha.

OahuDave
bass level

Postby OahuDave » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:37 pm

Forgot to mention we catch the moana all the time bottom fishing in KaiBay, along with the hordes of hages. :) Thats my favorite place to fish, but its other side of island from me. Havent caught much there, but the enjoyment factor is huge. So darn nice there. Some good runs from the launch ramp to Mokes and even up to bird crap. Never too far out and its good depth.

Image[/img]

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:05 pm

Hey OahuDave,

Thanks for the invite! It sounds great. Although I don't post much here or AquaHunters, I check and read new posts everyday (if not several times a day :lol: )

Between you, Ahnkochee and Evan, I'm sure I'll have lots of fun on the kayak.

Stan, I wonder if we can kayak to Keiki and wade for o'io...or do you prefer the boat instead? :lol:

Exactly 5 months guys! The fish better watch out for me on April 19th!!! :twisted:

OahuDave
bass level

Postby OahuDave » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:44 pm

I dont post anywhere much anymore. I found I was getting frustrated when I couldnt get out because all my friends would post daily on AquaHunters about going fishing and getting good fish. I finally took a break and now just fish for myself. I dont post up about anything fishing related really anymore, just out to enjoy myself now and fish when I want to for me. :)

Also been doing some dunking from shore with the family since I hated leaving them when I went kayaking all day.

Keep in touch and we will see you in April!

My keiki:

Return to “General Discussion”