What was your first fishing pole as a kid? Can you remember?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

What was your first fishing pole as a kid? Can you remember?

Postby FishinFrenzy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:30 pm

Let's all think back in our childhood for a minute. (Some may have to go back a bit further than others. Ahem...Stan) :lol: Can you remember your very first fishing pole? The first pole that comes to my mind is an old Zebo (I think) push button white/black combo. How about you guys? Should be an easy question for you Skunked, the "Tackle Ho" 8) :lol:
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:17 am

FishinFrenzy,

First fishing pole :roll: It was a bamboo stick, about 6ft, tied with light fishing line at the end, which I spent many hours fishing Kalihi valley stream, back in the day..........not catching a whole lot :(

As for actual fishing rod/reel combo: it was something my mom won at bingo, back in the early 70's. It was so cheap, I couldn't even remember the name. But it did work, and it was the start of me becoming a "tackle ho"(Skunked is my hero :wink: ).

Bass regards, Mel "Kahuna bass"
Enjoying my shopping time here in Yokohama, Japan :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:51 am

No, you're my hero! You're the man because you actually use your stuff. I just collect stuff.
My first pole was also a bamboo pole that my Dad bought for me and he first taught me how to fish in the Hanapepe river on Kauai. There was a place called "car wash" where the road would actually cross the river. We caught hundreds of little papio and aholehole there using opae(shrimp) straight from the river. I was hooked on fishing from that moment.
My first rod and reel was a Sears brand setup. The rod was fiberglass with steel guides that quickly rusted and damaged my line. The reel was such a piece of junk. It had a bail without a line roller. The line quickly cut into the bail and ruined that reel. It also had the opposite of a silent anti-reverse. That thing was LOUD...click click click.
The next rod I got was a Daiwa with actual ceramic guides. The inserts were big and white. This rod also sucked, but I lived with it for years.
The first good set up I had was my Cabela's Black Lightning 5' UL graphite rod and my Shimano Aero Solstace 1000 with the Quickfire II trigger. This reel replaced my other Shimano which had the stupid Fightin' Drag system. This was such a stupid idea. Instead of just cupping the spool to prevent drag slippage on the hookset, they installed a lever that you had to engage and then remember to disengage as soon as the fish started running or you'd break your line. Stupid!! And I was stupid enough to buy it.
I caught a whole lot of upper north fork smallmouths with this combo until one day I was fishing by the dam, and I got busted by a warden for fishing in the forbidden area. He confiscated my treasured rod and reel and didn't even let me know how I would be able to get it back (auction, whatever). I was devastated, especially since I saved up allowance money to buy it. I couldn't fish for a long time after that because I couldn't afford another rod and reel. Now I have way too many!
Ah, the memories!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:19 am

Bamboo rod for me too fishing for Tilapia in the Kaelepulu Stream with the occasional bonus orange belly Aholehole. Later on Dad got me a Berkley spinning rod and reel 6 foot light action, this was back when they were made in the US, and best of the best was the Garcia/Mitchell reel what we all aspired to someday get. Japanese tackle was considered mediocre back then. Oh yes, and dinosaurs ruled the Earth. :wink:
Used this combo for so many years I forget, used for catching the numerous 'Awa'awa in the stream with some Papio trolling in Kaneohe Bay added to the mix. Things have come full circle with me back in the old homestead and fishing Kaelepulu Stream for 'Awa'awa again except this time Dad and Mom are gone, reliving bitter sweet memories. :(

PS. My older brother had the white body, black cap Zebco spinfisher reel with matching white solid fiberglass rod.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

cameroncarr0311
angler level

My first rod

Postby cameroncarr0311 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:07 pm

Well as far as I can remember my first rod and reel combo was a Zebco, then I moved on to the open face spinning reels, I once thought of switching to baitcasters but i loved the accuracy of the open faced spinning reels,

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:21 am

"Switch Cane" from the cane break down by the creek. I guess you would call it a 6 foot bamboo pole. At the hardware store, for 10 cents, you could buy a hook, line, and floater combo wound around a little wood frame. It wasn't mono.... more like a thick green string.

For bait we caught grasshoppers. The bluegills loved them. When granddady was plowing the fields we would walk behind him picking up worms and grubbs. (carefull not to setp on the fresh "horse apples" with our bare feet.)

Near the edge of the pool we always used a stick like a blind person to scare the snakes away. I can see it like it was yesterday, not 50 years ago. :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:49 am

Mine was a Daiwa surf rod which belonged to my uncle. I used it for bass, rock bass, sunfish, salmon...you name it. On one unlucky trip, the top half of the rod fell into the water when I had the rod propped up on the side of the canoe. The Daiwa BG reel was then put together with a loaner rod a couple of years later. On a second unlucky trip, my loaner rod with that BG reel was stolen :cry:

If I had only know the value of that rod back then...and the possibility that I will be using it for it's true purpose in Hawaii 10 years later...

Still kicking myself to this day for my stupidity :?

The first rod and reel combo that I bought was a $40 Abu Garcia combo. I don't even know what the name of the rod and the reel was...but the reel said AccuBalance on it :lol: I caught bass, pike, salmon, steelhead, walleye, catfish, sunfish and freshwater drum with it until the reel blew out. I got a new Quantum reel and kept using the combo for a few more years. That combo now belongs to my buddy.

Since then, I've got a Pflueger Trion spinning combo...which I am selling (great combo...but I needed an "upgrade" for practical purpose). Now, it's is TFO TiCR2 travel rods all the way...and currently I have a Daiwa Regal-Xi reel...but I've been thinking about a Penn Spinfisher or Daiwa BG for durability...but maybe not until the Daiwa blew out on me. So far it has taken a lot of abuse and it is still running like a charm.

The TiCR2 rods are solid so far. I'll put it to a serious test in 23 days when I leave for BC to target some pink and chum salmon (and possibly a tyee class king salmon). I'll be using a 9' 4-piece TiCR2 10-25lb salmon rod most of the time...I hope it doesn't blow up on me :lol:

The 7' 3-piece TiCR2 8-17lb has impressed me after my trip to San Diego. It has quite a bit of beef for a 3-piece rod. After I return to Ontario, it further impressed me after I landed a 26" channel cat from a boat from a slow deep river. I don't think the thought of fishing a 3-piece rod ever crossed my mind as I was hooked up...and I pumped and wind that catfish as much as I could and the rod was solid all the way. I also took a second catfish just a couple of inches smaller 15 min later...and the rod is still solid a second time! :D I would say that this 3-piece rod fish very much like a 2-piece rod in every way.

**Oops...sorry...I digressed...

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:27 pm

I remember having a berkley combo. the rod and reel was blue, no roller on the bail and I lost the handle after using it only the 2nd time at the Haleiwa breakwater. The reel was dumped, the guides all rusted off and the blank was turned into the best oama pole. Then I had a Garcia Mitchell 308. Good reel. Anyone remember when Penn reels were Green? Or was that some other brand?

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:59 pm

I wasn't around then the Penn reels were green...but there are still lots kicking around today...some of them being refurbished. Check on eBay by typing in Penn spinning reel and you'll see them.

They are kick ass reels...I hope I can get my hands on one...but no spare cash for that at the moment.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:09 pm

Boatless wrote:Anyone remember when Penn reels were Green? Or was that some other brand?

Yup, Back in the 60s into the early 70s though back then the Garcia Mitchells were THEE reel everyone strived for.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:09 am

Huh, that's pretty cool. My father has a reel just like the bottom pic but his is a goldish color. And the funny part is...he is still using it to fish for trout in Wyoming to this day. :shock: Talk about reliable. :D
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Return to “General Discussion”