Artificial Structure?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Artificial Structure?

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:54 am

One of the things I've noticed at the lake is there really isn't much significant "deep water" structure(Atleast I haven't found it..Haven't had a chance to use my new fish finders yet). For awhile now I've been wanting to build some and drop it off in some top secret locations :D . About 30ft or so off some points, maybe it would provide some better cover for the LGM or even the tucs. I was thinking about tying some branches/trees to rocks or cinder blocks or some PVC structure. Does anyone know if doing this would be legal? Or has anyone attempted this? I think I remember Stan talking about draging those trees out onto the point on Boy Scout Island and sticking them in the mud...tks BTW I have caught a few nice LGM by those trees. I hear after Christmas a lot of people who have lake front property on the mainland will sink their trees off their docks. Maybe we could do this this up coming Christmas and give our selves our own presents.....fish holding structure..I know I'd be happy.

Mostly I guess I would like to know if I built some elaborate pvc structure and and put it out on the lake if I could get in trouble....I'm doubting anyone would really care It's not like I'd be hurting the lake.

Bozu
bass level

PVC Structures

Postby Bozu » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:15 pm

DLNR hasn't had a problem with fishermen placing natural structures i.e. biodegradable material like christmas trees and such for added fish cover. The trees tend to rot out within a year or two. However, a PVC FAD (fish aggregation device) would be definitely be a no-no. It is a public fishing lake so they are very cautious about individual efforts to enhance a "honey hole" scenario that doesn't benefit all lake users.

That being said, perhaps a joint FAD placement effort with DLNR and other interested fishermen could be explored. I'm sure they will want each FAD marked and monitored.

Unfortunately, liability issues may trump good-hearted efforts to improve the resource. Don't get me wrong... I think you have a wonderful idea, but what happens if a PVC FAD and its ropes etc. get tangled up in outboard prop and causes someone some major (expensive) damge to their boat? Who's responsible ? We haven't had extreme low water conditions recently so that would not affect a FAD anchored in deep water. If the water does go down like it has in the past the FAD may pose a hazard to the unwary boater.

Good idea though to explore.
Bozu

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Well, I installed a "FAD" (fish feeder) and told everyone where it was so everyone could go there and catch the fish it quickly attracted.....
And someone took it.
As for any future FADs.....

"What they don't know won't hurt them."

"It's easer to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask permission."

:roll:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Re: PVC Structures

Postby Lrry93 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:12 pm

Bozu wrote:DLNR hasn't had a problem with fishermen placing natural structures i.e. biodegradable material like christmas trees and such for added fish cover. The trees tend to rot out within a year or two. However, a PVC FAD (fish aggregation device) would be definitely be a no-no. It is a public fishing lake so they are very cautious about individual efforts to enhance a "honey hole" scenario that doesn't benefit all lake users.

That being said, perhaps a joint FAD placement effort with DLNR and other interested fishermen could be explored. I'm sure they will want each FAD marked and monitored.

Unfortunately, liability issues may trump good-hearted efforts to improve the resource. Don't get me wrong... I think you have a wonderful idea, but what happens if a PVC FAD and its ropes etc. get tangled up in outboard prop and causes someone some major (expensive) damge to their boat? Who's responsible ? We haven't had extreme low water conditions recently so that would not affect a FAD anchored in deep water. If the water does go down like it has in the past the FAD may pose a hazard to the unwary boater.

Good idea though to explore.
Bozu

I think you have forgot we live in Hawaii and the state could care less about that lake. There are people dumping fill, and trash in the lake weekly. When DLNR does something to manage the lake then they might care.

I say put whatever you want out there. Its easier to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission sometimes.

BASSTRACKER
King Sushi level

Postby BASSTRACKER » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:29 pm

have been seeding chritmas trees up in southfork above the ramp for several yrs.and yep only last bout 6-8 months,2months to get any fish on em then they work great through the summer then gone just rot away, start all over jan 1st, nothing big just my tree and whatever i happen upon along the side of the road on the way,concrete well its to hard logistically to heavy to carry enough to make a diff but i usually sink my trees tied to a chunk or a cinder block. i actually did talk to one of the dnlr rangers and he said trees no problem just keep it low profile and nothing thats not gonna degrade over time or be a pollutant.so add at your own risk. theres actally plenty of structure down there, i think shallow cover when the water is higher is a problem right now theres plenty with the water low but when its up its scarce seeing as they cut it all off during the salvinia cleanup.youd be surprised whats down there, few cars,shopping carts,all sorts of garbage.trees dont last long but thanks to last decembers wind storm we got enough wood to last till winter this year.so many issues on lake management seems ha?

Return to “General Discussion”