Sun. Lake Wilson

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Sun. Lake Wilson

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:28 pm

Early on we got into some schooling peacock bass around Cow Pt..
They were mostly in the 12 to 13 inch size. One guy on a kayak caught a nice catfish. He said every thing will hit those Rapala Lures. :lol:

Moving on down to Boy Scout Island. there were some small large mouth and peacock bass hanging around the saddle.

Saw some big peacock bass around that point of land off Mikimiki Flats. Lots of bait fish up in the shallow water. Caught several small peacocks, some red devils (one weighed just over a pound) and this thing.... :o

Moved to Blue Boat Pt. accross from the dam. Four people were fishing there so I joined them.... some red devil and a few peacock bass up to 2 pounds. Over all, I'd call it slow action. (not like when all 5 of us are hooked up as fast as we can toss a live bit in the water. It wasn't anything close to that this morning.)

Moved on up the North Fork and around the corner. On the north side (pineapple field) I found the peacock tucked up under the edge of the grass. Lures and live bait drew them out of the cover. Largest was 3 pounds and several 2 pounders. Most were 12 and 13 inch size.
But still lots of fun on 4# test line.

Accross the lake and in the shade of that huge Banyon tree...... two guys in a blue boat were catching some 3 and 4 pounders using large live bait.

I left around noon just as everyone seemed to be just getting to the lake.
I have a feeling the afternoon bite was good.
:lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

JChen
master baiter level

Postby JChen » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:49 pm

That fish looks like something my mom used to cook, like tilapia

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:08 pm

That Cichlid looks sorta like a Convict Cichlid BUT too sharp a muzzle and not enough bars, also looks like a Firemouth Cichlid in shape but no bright orange chin. I'm looking thru my fish books but so far no cigar.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:57 pm

It is a barred midas cichlid. A close relative of the red devil.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:38 am

Stan,

Thanks for the fish report!

I wish I was there fishin the "big live baits" Remember. "go big, or go home" :wink:

Looking forward to heading back that way, and throwing the big wooden swim baits. After seeing one of your clients have success throwing the big wood bluegill, can't wait to try my "special baits"

By the way, throw that big "thing" bait back in, hope for the beast!!!! :twisted:

Bass regards, Mel "Kahuna bass"
Da kind Dark side live baiter 8)
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:49 am

Thanks Larry, I didn't know there was a barred color variation of the Midas Cichlid the only ones I've seen have been orange sometimes with a splash of white.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Return to “Fishing Reports”