Barramundi

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:53 pm

Now this is what we need... Australian fish in Hawaii

http://www.floridafishingweekly.com/ema ... shing.aspx
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:16 pm

I always thought Nile Perch (cousin to both Snook, and Barramundi) would make a nice addition to Lake Wilson's fauna. :lol:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:31 pm

Barramundi are a food fish. They are also big in the aquarium trade.

a Platinum Barramundi just sold a few months ago for $30,000 here in the U.S.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:02 pm

Greetings All,

I agree with Stan, we need to bring in the Barramundi!

I had the chance to fish for barramundi a few years back in Darwin, Australia. Strong and powerful fighters, who love to jump. Though the numbers weren't really big (largest about 20 lbs), just there sure presence is impressive. When they hit the crank baits and surface poppers, it was never passive. 8) Explosion, with a lot of energy.

Also had the chance to try some for dinner, way good! Very mild flavor, just excellent.

It sure would be nice.......Tucs and Barramudi :twisted: Large mouth bass would be a thing of the past.

Bass regards, Mel "Kahuna bass"
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:50 am

Imagine that eh???

Tonight on Animal Faceoff...Peacock Bass vs Barramundi. :lol:

I am planning a trip to Australia within the next 7 years...and the barras are on my list of target species...so are saratoga...and the bass and perch...and black marlin...and pearl snapper and red snapper...and those spanish mackerel...and...and...and...you got the pictures :lol:

Gosh...that Florida guide barramundi is sure expensive!!! I can likely fish a full day in Australia for the same price or cheaper.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:02 pm

OZ has HUMONGALOID Lai, and Moi too...

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Holy Crap! :shock: That's the biggest moi I've ever seen!! All I can say is..Yummmm! :)
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:39 am

What they have in the Land of Oz is a different species of threadfin that get much larger. I think that lai is a Talang Queenfish as well...not the Double-spotted Queenfish (which is usually smaller in size...but according to FishBase it can get to 100cm long).

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:00 pm

Yes but none the less still a Moi, and still a Lai as far as us Hawaiians are concerned.

They have Moi which go over 100 lbs. off the west coast of Africa.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:06 pm

I would love to be able to catch Barramundi and Nile Perch at Wilson. But I think the last thing the lake needs is another introduced species :D

Or maybe we could just keep adding them until the "Top Dog" is determined.

A buddy of mine I took fishing awhile back was asking me for directions to the lake....I asked him, "Are you going fishing?" He said, "No, I gotta get rid of these fish, the keep eating everything in my tank!" ....he didn't do it, I told him not to as it's not good for the lake...and that on the off chance he got caught he could probably be fined as well. One the of the fish was actually a Red Devil I caught for him, he wanted to eradicate some pesky electric yellows from his tank and the RD got out of control ate all his plecos and bunch of others. The other was an arwana..can't imagine those being good for the lake.

I don't think most people realize the damage they can do to an eco system by "Freeing" their unwated pet fish in local bodies of water. I don't really blame either, not a whole lot of info out there saying it's illegal. Would be nice to see a sign at the boat ramp or something.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:16 am

about 15 years ago, I saw a huge arowana in the lake by the Whitmore outfall (my regular spot, now inaccessible by foot). I also saw a couple of gigantic "round" fantail goldfish, the ones you can buy at the pet shop. They looked like bowling balls with fins. Oh yeah, forgot about the huge Koi. They looked like they came straight out of the fountains at the Ala Moana Center (only old locals know what I'm talking about).
My friend also showed me a picture of a red piranha (not Pacu, the real thing) he caught. They used to have pictures of other piranhas at Wahiawa Sporting Goods. I wonder if there are a lot left in the lake and if they are reproducing?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:10 am

I have read of several incidental catches of Pacu in the Lake but was wondering they are actually established with a reproducing targetable population.

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:34 am

Arowana! They a cousin of the saratoga in the Land of Oz. From the videos I've seen on saratoga fishing, they are great fun on the top water fly fishing. If the arowana are anything like the saratoga...it could be great fun. Plus...they will probably start eradicating the cichlid population :wink:

Okay...yeah...don't need another introduced species :roll:

If your want to figure out a top dog in Lake Wilson, put in a bull shark...but then you don't want to be swimming in there (or fall out of the boat) :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”