Sat - 08/07/12 - Nuuanu Stream

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

JChen
master baiter level

Sat - 08/07/12 - Nuuanu Stream

Postby JChen » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:44 pm

Only had about an two hours to fish before the parking lot closed but was still fun none the less. One note though, rocks are slippery...:wink:

caught a smallie and then speared me one of those armored catfish/sucker looking things.

Smallie was caught on a popper.

Pretty obvious.... Probably one of the ugliest fish I've EVER seen.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:57 am

I'm sure that DLNR would be very happy if you killed ALL of the armored catfish. Every so ofter they do a shock survey.... and those things are in every body of water. That's why you don't dump an aquarium in a stresm.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:50 pm

In the Amazon Basin the Indians eat those things, they pulehu um right on an open fire then crack um open like a lobster and grind um. Maybe gotta get a market value on um to get more people to help reduce the population. Create a armored Catfish Cookbook. :wink:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

JChen
master baiter level

Postby JChen » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:00 pm

Stan Wright wrote:I'm sure that DLNR would be very happy if you killed ALL of the armored catfish. Every so ofter they do a shock survey.... and those things are in every body of water. That's why you don't dump an aquarium in a stresm.

They actually aren't that hard to spear. They sunbathe a lot on the lower end of Nuu'anu stream, at the botanical garden, past the foot bridge. Not very hard to spook either, sits on a rock or in a hole, doesnt leave unless you poke at it with your rod.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Armored catfish cookbook

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:37 pm

I have read that the roe of the armored catfish is considered high quality caviar.

Return to “Fishing Reports”