Fun Week

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Fun Week

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:35 am

It's been an exciting week. The peacock bass are starting to school up and chase the shad again. Some days the white Senko works, other days the silver Castmaster. Jerk baits and Tiny Torpedoes. Small streamer flys and a 5 wt fly rod are always fun. The trick is... "think small". Unlike those South American peacock bass, our Hawaii fish average 2 pounds and those huge surface lures seem to scare them. LOL

I want to do some experimenting this week with the "Ben Wong Rig". That's a water filled plastic bubble, leader, and small glitter strip. (works for papio, so the schooling Tukes should like it?)

Chris has been working the shoreline and flipping lures and live bait to patrolling peacock bass with good results. I saw 4 guys on Morgan's Point catch over 30 fish on live bait. When they left, I moved in and caught 3 before running out of bait.

What's amazing is, one day you'll catch 30 or 40 fish and the next day work really hard to catch 5 or 6 fish. Well, that's fishing. All and all, it's been a fun week.

Aloha,
Stan

lastcall808
angler level

Postby lastcall808 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:24 pm

Hey Stan,

It's Brendon from Kaneohe...met you at Nervous Waters...the Cicalid guy. Anyhow I was reading your post and wated to let you know that just today I was fishing in Kaneohe stream and hooked a 1 1/2 - 2 lb smallmouth on the "Ben Wong Rig". Small plastic bubble float and a 2in. black grub.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

"Ben Wong rig"

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:59 pm

Hey Stan, the "Ben Wong rig" is an old school techinque. Everybody used that one in the 70's. It still works, although not as well as it used to. I suggest you use your flies instead of a glitter strip. Some people used to use a doll fly (jigs) but I prefer using flies. You also might want to use your weedless fly in cover. By the way, I went last Friday and the tucunare were chasing shad. I got there about 3:30 so it might have been a timing thing. I went yesterday and today, very little feeding activity. I guess they moved.

leoric
bass level

Postby leoric » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:54 am

Since we're on the Ben Wong rig topic, does anyone know where he gets the small white squid lure he uses for his show? Thanks. :)

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:15 pm

Just about all the fishing supply places sell them...... I always liked the gold ones.

Stan

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

floater fly

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:02 am

Hi Stan, how did your experiment with the "Ben Wong rig" go?

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:56 pm

Well, let's see, I could try tomorrow.

LOL
Stan

Return to “General Discussion”