Bonding with Bait?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Bonding with Bait?

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:56 am

A few weeks back I set up a large old ice chest with a aerator and aquarium filter and made into a bait holding tank so I would always have a stockpile of live bait. Using my minnow trap I caught several Medaka and small Tilapia which I stocked this tank with. I have been feeding and caring for these bait fish daily waiting for the moment that I have time to use them, but one problem... I have bonded with my bait. :roll: Every morning and afternoon they eagerly await my arrival to feed them, and when I reach in to change their filter they swarm around my arm gently nibbling on it. Now I'm having a hard time thinking about putting a hook thru them and throwing them to the Tucs. What's a guy to do? :roll: :cry: :wink:
Anyone here ever bond with their bait? :lol:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:10 pm

Give them to me...I have no problem sticking a hook into em and catchin a big one!!! That will solve your issues. :lol:
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:44 pm

I have to admit that happened to me a lot. We used to catch dojos for bait when we fished for smallmouth bass. We used to bring the leftovers home for next time. They never made it back to the creek. They sort of grow on you. They are interesting to watch and make good pets. I think some people get attached to their oama but I never did keep them for long periods of time.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:09 am

Oh brother....... :roll:

Well, I can't say you don't get attached to your live bait..... every time Chris opens the bait tank lid he cheerfully asks: " OK, who wants to go swimming? "

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:49 am

Has anyone tried to breed their own bait? I've been thinking about that for a while, and now I have a about a 50 gallon pond. Right now I have some Kenyi Chiclids in there and some gold fish. But I would like to raise some tilapia. Anyone have any tips to get fish to breed?

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:07 pm

I will bond with your bait at the end of my line hooking up if you want!

CA Bass you would need multiple ponds to supply enough bait. It would be large scale, take awhile, and cost.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:04 pm

50 gallons is less than a drum can and figuring in feed, and time, and filtering media, etc. etc. I don't think it's worth the trouble. I use a cooler strictly as a holding tank for bait caught. Get yourself a minnow trap like this one from Cabela's:

Drop it into any of the numerous fresh or brackish water canals, streams, or ponds with catfood as bait and you should have at least a days worth of live bait in half an hour. Use you pond as a holding area. These traps work great, mine is 20 years old and still going.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:30 am

I buy traps like that from Nanko's in Kaneohe.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:40 pm

I always hear about all the ponds and streams but I have no clue where they are at.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:09 pm

I do almost all of my trapping for bait in Kailua. Go down the Pali Hwy and turn right after you cross the bridge by Windward Boats.

Go several hundred yards till you get to the buildings on the right. (bar, resturant, Nash Sailboards. ) Fish under the tree by the trash dumpster.
:lol:

Stan

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:29 pm

Stan Wright wrote:I do almost all of my trapping for bait in Kailua. Go down the Pali Hwy and turn right after you cross the bridge by Windward Boats.

Go several hundred yards till you get to the buildings on the right. (bar, resturant, Nash Sailboards. ) Fish under the tree by the trash dumpster.
:lol:

Stan

Have breakfast at TIME'S Coffee Shop while you're there, but watchout for "Mangoman" or you'll catch ukus from him, he lives under that tree. :wink:

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:31 pm

Oh yes, I DID use my baits yesterday slow trolling for 'Awa'awa in Ka'elepulu Pond, and whatever was leftover I let go, catch um again next time. :lol:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:51 pm

Don't get to close to "Mangoman".....???? ..... no one with any sense of smell would want to get down wind of him.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:42 am

Got any smallmouth bass in that stream?

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:43 pm

I've seen tilapia, mosquito fish, red devils, and samoan crabs...... but I don't think I would anything out of there.

Return to “General Discussion”