Freshwater Eels in Hawaii

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Freshwater Eels in Hawaii

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:46 pm

I did not know this but from reading my new book "Hawaii's Native & Exotic Freshwater Animals" I learned that Hawaii has had freshwater eels in it's streams, taro lo'i, and earlier rice fields since the 1800s brought over by Chinese immigrants the same time as the Pongee (Snakehead), and Puntat (Chinese Catfish) as a food source all three well adapted for long sea voyages due to their ability to breathe air and stay alive as long as they are kept moist. The book says they are more common in Windward streams.
The Eel is the Swamp Eel aka Rice Paddy Eel scientific name Monoterus albus. They grow to 40 inches though more common at 12 to 14 inches. I live and fish here all my life and still learn something new 48 years later. :wink: Anyone here ever catch one?
http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Country/Co ... cies=albus
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:03 am

I remember years ago someone wanted to start a commercial eel farm in Kona. The Greens went wild, saying it would get loose and invade every stream in Hawaii and kill everything living in freshwater. I wondered how they could survive on the lava fields if the tank broke?????

The bill never passed the legislature. "Hawaii is freshwater eel free, and we're going to keep it that way."

I guess that was before Google.... I had no Idea we had freshwater eels here.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:51 am

I hate eels they are creepy!

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:02 pm

You can catch them at bellows in the streams

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:39 pm

Even though I hate eels, I'm gonna catch one for the saltwater tank I'm starting up. I think I'm gonna try to catch all the fish for it.

Return to “General Discussion”