Lucky Dog Day

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Lucky Dog Day

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:23 pm

I am so tired. Mel and I started out at 4:00 pm and pulled ashore at Blue Boat Pt.
I saw a bass swimming along the shore and tossed a Senko at it... instant strike.... 1 1/2 lb bass. Then I put a live bait on and it no more than hit the water and I have a 3 pound catfish. Another live bait and 1 3/4 lb peacock bass.... then on the 4th cast the action picked up. LOL

Had this 12 inch peacock bass on and some others following it.... then this big bass attacked it. I free spooled the peacock and the largemouth ate it. Sweep the rod ( circle hook) and the bass is hooked..... 27 inches, but really skinny... weighed only 3 3/4 pounds. There is this little peacock bass up on the line like a minnow with the bass on the hook. Both were released alive.

It was one of those days where you try every lure in the box. After the rubber twister tail literally fell off the jig head.. I make two more cast and hooked up to two more fish. Mel lost some big fish while using big live baits. I tagged 12 fish and we caught 3 or 4 times that many we didn't tag. Even caught two tagged fish.

Mel called it on this one. Every thing he tried... worked like a charm.

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:51 pm

Honorable Royal One(Stan),

Today was your day!!! 8)

As you mentioned, everything you threw, caught fish!!! It got really sick, when you started catching fish with the bare hook.

Blue boat point was on. Tuc's every direction, with fair number of large mouth bass mixed in too.

The highlight of the day, was watching you catch that nice large mouth bass. To see that bass, turn on that small peacock was epic. :twisted:

Thanks again for the time on the water.

Bass regards, Mel "kahuna bass"
I'm not worthy!!! :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:26 am

Mel,

Seems every time I fish with you we have great luck.....
Thanks for a super trip.

(When are you going to be back in town????)

Aloha,
Stan

:twisted: Come over to the Dark Side, Luke..... :twisted:
:twisted: "Live Bait Rules" :twisted:

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:07 am

Wow. I've yet to experience some huge fish attacking a tuc!

Kahuna- so I guess we're back into "big bait big fish" season yea???
:lol: [/list]

cameroncarr0311
angler level

Postby cameroncarr0311 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:29 am

:D Thanx for your help yesterday. I was the guy foating in the kyak not catching anything, but the bass assasins you gave me worked like a charm. I didnt know peacock bass where so fun to catch. well thanx again

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Boatless,

Your right, "big bait, big fish" season. 8)

Don't be afraid of the big baits.......hook'm and let them swim... I find that most of the bigger fish, hold back (deeper), than the smaller aggressive Tuc's. Big fish have to eat too.....

Remember, let the big fish eat the bait....................than set the hook.

Good luck all!!

Bass regards, Mel - Kahuna Bass
Big Bait live baiter ---- Dark side guy! :evil:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:17 pm

Great report, MAHALO! I'm heading over with a bucket full of 3" Tilapia for bait.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:37 am

Friday, the bite was going strong all afternoon..... Also seems that the more people fishing, the more excited the fish get, the better the action.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:49 pm

Two more days until I get back on Island, I can't freaking wait to fish in the new boat!!! Thanks again Larry for helping me out getting my hands on it! Florida has been fun, but the fishing action was pretty slow until about a month ago here. I really have only had a few good days where I caught a 3 redfish on silver spoons. Got into a lot of ladyfish in the past two weeks, and lost a monster the other day, peeled off about 100yds of line then broke me off. See you all on the lake soon!!!!!!!!!

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

ladyfish

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:02 am

Hey Ca_Bass, catching ladyfish is a blast! Unfortunately, they are becoming scarce here in Hawaii ( like all the other saltwater gamefish ). I thought they didn't get that big on the mainland.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:08 am

I've caught 2 'Awa'awa over 36' in the past one in Kaneohe Bay trolling on out the channel just left of Kekepa Island, and another right off Kailua (Kalama) Beach trolling just outside the breakers. Used to catch tons of them in Ka'elepulu Stream as a kid. I read in the OLD HFN (25+ years ago I think) about a guy catching several 'Awa'awa in Pearl Harbor over 20 lbs.
I thought they were pretty much wiped until recently I found a spot were I can catch them pretty regularly (all C&R 'Awa'awa fish cake days pau).

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

awa au'a

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:41 am

Same here uncle, no mo awa au'a fishcake for me. All catch and release now daze.

Return to “Fishing Reports”