casting rod question

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Boatless
King Sushi level

casting rod question

Postby Boatless » Tue May 20, 2008 7:56 am

what is the difference (if any) between a med-light power rod w/ fast taper vs. a medium power rod w/ xfast taper? I normally would like to "feel" the difference myself but since no one sells it here and the nearest proshop is 3000mi. away, I'll be doing mail order. Any info would be appreciated.

Mahalo

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue May 20, 2008 9:44 am

I try to help with what I know about my own ML and M rods, but as far as those ratings go it's hard to tell without holding the rod. My favorite rod I own is the Team Daiwa-X Drop Shot/Finesse rod. It's casting 6'6" ML rod. It's is great for dropshoting and also small jerk baits and small crankbaits. It has a fairly stiff backbone with a super sensitive tip(the most sensitive rod I've ever used). I also HAD(I broke it putting it in the truck :( ) a 6' medium power allstar rod, that one had a little more back bone the the ML but not quite as sensitive as a tip, it was great for topwater lures and also a decent backup spinnerbait rod and back up senko rod(the bigger senkos).

Hopefully that will help you somewhat, since those are the two rods I've used that are ML and M power.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Tue May 20, 2008 11:02 am

I agree that when it comes to rods, it's hard to tell without actually holding them. My MH Falcon Expert feels like a Heavy and my MH Kistler feels like a Medium. It should be easier if you are comparing different power/action within the same model lineup. For instance, I checked out the Shimano Crucial in fast and extra fast, both 6'6" med power. The XF was noticably stiffer even though their line and lure ratings were the same.
If you are looking for a great rod for about 8-10 lb. line for Lake Wilson, I like the 6'6" Crucial drop shot rod (CRCD66M). Light, sensitive, affordable, and has a lifetime warranty.
http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content ... nning.html
What rod(s) are you looking at?
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Tue May 20, 2008 10:26 pm

I've been looking at the Fenwick HMG, Quanum PT, or one of the Daiwa bass rods- not the steez model.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed May 21, 2008 1:21 am

I would get the HMG if it weren't for those guides that they use. They have stainless steel rings and are light, but no matter how hard you try to prevent it, they will tarnish and become not-so-smooth after a while. For the exact same price ($129), I would still get the Crucial because of the Fuji Alconite guides and lifetime warranty. That's just my opinion. I may just take a chance and get an HMG one day because of Fenwick's sentimental value to me. (the first rod I bought for myself with saved allowance money when I was young was a Fenwick from Buster's)
The Quantum PT looks like a good one. I have the lower model KVD signature series and I like it a lot. The PT must be even better. Just don't buy the Energy PT casting reels. Hated mine and sold it.
Have you checked out the Falcon Cara T7's or St. Croix Avid's? Little bit more $$, but super nice rods. Let's not forget the BPS Pro Qualifiers and Cabela's XML!! So many choices nowadays. Also, if you can find it, the Judy Wong series from American Rodsmiths is a super nice and light rod. Very nice and crisp action. I saw this rod at Academy in Texas. Should have bought it.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed May 21, 2008 9:47 pm

I used to have one of the Team Daiwa Light and Tough bass rods(My stupid dog broke it). It was pretty nice, I think I paid $110, and I would recommend that series. But if you're budget allows you to go a little higher hands down I'd have to recommend the Team Daiwa -X Drop Shot/Finesse Rods, I got mine for $175, and It's the nicest rod I've laid my hands on, I even like it better than the G Loomis rods I've used. The bad thing about the TD-X Drop Shot/Finesse rod is that it doesn't pair all that well with other reels. I've tried coupling it with my shimanos and also my Quantam but it doesn't mesh like the Team Daiwa reels do. It's been awhile since I've used a Fenwick rod, and like skunked, my first "Nice" rod I owned was a Fenwick.

Boatless
I'm in Fl right now, and I'm going to head down to bass pro this weekend, I know it's not as good as being there yourself but if you would like to give me a list of things you are interested, and what exactly you're looking(universal rod, spinnerbait rod etc...) for I can check out some rods and reels for you and give you my opinion.

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Thu May 22, 2008 1:38 pm

Hey Skunked and CaBass
Mahalo for all the info. Very helpful.

Ca Bass thanks for the offer. If you have the time, see if the BPS you go to has the quantum energy PT ML or MD , Team Daiwa Bass rods md, or the fenwick HMG's. Basically i'm lookin for a mulitpurpose rod that can be used w/ something as tiny as a roadrunner to as large as a crankbait.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Sun May 25, 2008 10:36 am

Greetings Boatless,

You asked the million dollar question, "fast taper or x-fast taper". It all comes down to application. Drop shot, worm, I like x-fast taper. I perfer the "feel" If I'm throwing crank baits or bigger worms, lizards, I use a fast taper, with more back bone.

Another issue, is matching the rod to reel. This could be your biggest challenge. Besides, it has to look good together..... 8) As my daughter would say, its not what you catch, but how good you look fishing. :wink:

But at the end of the day, it's what makes you feel comfortable. And your right, without any larger tackle stores in Hawaii, your very limited.

Good luck.

Bass regards, Mel "Kahuna bass"
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue May 27, 2008 11:45 am

Boatless,

I didn't get a chance to make it to Bass Pro this weekend, I was supposed to get my truck back from the shop friday......well we all know how mechanics are, not getting it until Tuesday. I'll try to get down there this weekend.

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Wed May 28, 2008 8:49 am

Howzit Kahuna- thanks for the input. Are there any brands that are favorable to you?

Ca_bass- no problem. when you have time is ok w/ me. Which BPS in FLA are you going to and how far away is it from where you are?

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed May 28, 2008 4:19 pm

The BPS in Destin, it's about 40 mins away. I was planning on going there anyways because I broke my 6wt about two weeks ago, plus It's my favorite store EVER! Every time I walk into one of those stores I blow a minimum of $200...I just can't stop :D

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Thu May 29, 2008 2:08 am

BPS is dangerous indeed. I went to the one in Toronto a week ago to return a pair of defective sun gloves...somehow, I walked out spending $50 on fly tying material :? I have no clue how it happens...but money leaves my pocket whenever I walk into that store :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”