Kayak fishing

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

boneless
bass level

Kayak fishing

Postby boneless » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:24 am

Hi, I'm planning to rent a kayak to fly fish Lake Wilson this week. Any tips/suggestions? I am not an experienced paddler and I'm a hack of a fly fisherman but I am a good swimmer. :? I have the freshwater permit and a pfd comes with the rental so I'm set there. Stan, I saw your pix of effective flies and I think I have some that are close enough from my (fruitless) pursuit of o'io (see screen name). Do poppers work out there? Any info will be appreciated. Aloha and thanks.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:01 am

Just about any fly that looks or kind of acts like a fish will catch peacock bass. Chris told me they saw lots of other kinds of fish the other day... bluegill, oscar, lots of snakehead, red devils....... you should have some kind of action.
:lol:
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

boneless
bass level

kayak fishing

Postby boneless » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks Stan, I'm going to give it a try tomorrow (4/23). With any luck, I'll have a report and maybe a pic or two to post.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:47 am

Boneless one,
Nice meeting you this morning at the ramp. As I am writing this, I hope you have caught a few by now, but even if you don't, I'm sure you had fun on the water and got some exercise. Don't forget to post some pics.
Blaine.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:48 am

Worst comes to worst, you can always troll a fly near the shore if it is too tough to position the kayak and fly cast at the same time. I think that is probably wise if the wind picks up.

boneless
bass level

Kayak fishing

Postby boneless » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Thanks to all who replied. In an effort to keep the rental kayak clean, I decided not to put any fish in it. Well, the fish decided. I got a ton of follows but only one real hit. It was a small peacock but I was a little too casual stripping it in and it shook loose. Still, as Skunked (we're brothers now) said it was a good day on the water. The kayak turned out to be easier than expected. Most of the time, I was able to stand up in it to cast (extra light wind today). It would have been a different experience with normal trades. Maybe I would have caught something, now that would be different. Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying again as soon as I can. Aloha, Boneless

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:13 pm

Boneless,

Sometime if they just follow... strip faster... take it away from them. I get lots of my strikes as the fly speeds up when I go to cast again.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Dang Boneless.....you must have some balance to stand up and cast from a kayak. I've never tried it on mine but I'm not too confident it will work for me! :x Maybe I'll try it and have the wife video me for America's Funniest Home Videos! :P :P

Stan....speaking of snakeheads.....I fished the south fork on Tuesday and saw two humungous fish. I was hoping they wouldn't bite my lure cause they FREAK me out.... :shock: ...plus I was in my float tube!!!!!!
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

OahuDave
bass level

Postby OahuDave » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:16 pm

Post up if you are launching in your kayaks guys, I'd come and join ya. I was going to troll some rapalas mostly tho. Not much of a caster.
Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao; pa`a ka waha.

Return to “General Discussion”