Bass Pro Shops: Slow shipping to Hawaii

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

skunked
King Sushi level

Bass Pro Shops: Slow shipping to Hawaii

Postby skunked » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:41 am

Just a warning to all those locals here ordering from BPS. I ordered a reel (Daiwa TD-Pro) on 2-19-08, and still haven't received it! I realize that it states on the website that it takes 10-14 business days for standard shipping to Hawaii, but I didn't realize that it actually would be that long. Usually companies will overestimate. The part that really upset me is when I clicked on "order details" and it showed that the reel is being sent PARCEL POST! I had hoped to take this reel with me on my trip on the 13th, but I probably won't be able to.
In comparison, Cabela's exceeded my expectations with quick delivery and even had a special offer for $4.95 shipping with a $100 minimum order. I kept looking for the "not valid outside of continental USA" disclaimer, but there wasn't any! I ordered 2 two-piece spinning rods on 2/22 and received them 3 days later! I wasn't too happy with one of the rods, so I sent it back with their PREPAID UPS LABEL! The contrast between the two companies is shocking. So, for me, when it comes to mail order, CABELA'S is the winner, hands down!
Anybody else have similar or even different experiences with these two companies?
Also, are there any other companies with inexpensive and quick shipping to Hawaii?
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:42 am

THis is something Bass Pro just started doing. I guess they think they were losing money shipping to Hawaii??? Pretty crappy if you ask me. THey will not even ship trolling motors to us. You have to use Cabelas. Bass pro better watch it or Im switching. Not like they care though.

Cabelas sent me 2 broken $1k trolling motors which sucked but they paid the shipping for them and overnighted the last one. Great service.

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:56 am

I can't comment on Hawaii...but I can comment on shipping to Canada.

Cabela: I had a telescopic rod shipped to me in less-than-expected time...but the rod had a defect and broke when I was just extending it to test out the rod. I contacted their customer service and had a new rod shipped to me without even asking to have the broken one shipped back (Okay...it was only a $30 rod).

Bass Pro: I had a 2-piece Daiwa surf rod shipped to me in less-than-expected time as well...this rod also has a defect in the ferrule. It was not tight to slide in the male end...but it was too tight to pull out after. So I contacted their customer service...and they asked me to shipped them back the rod and they will have it replaced and shipped at no charge. Okay, I'm still happy. When I replacement rod, I was furious!!! The rod not only has a chipped and scratched blank, but a few very obvious EVA grip damages was found on the hind grip. The epoxy on the guides were cracked as well. Needless to say, I took pictures of all the damages and complained to BassPro. Again, customer service was wonderful and they shipped me a new rod without asking to have the damaged rod back. However, I was not happy that it took 2 tries to even get a decent rod shipped to me!!! :evil:

Needless to say, I will not purchase a rod online from those two companies again.

I have recently found a good online dealer that sells TFO TiCr2 spinning and casting travel rods at manufacturer suggested retail price. The owner was a pleasure to deal with, and he took extra care to check the rod for me in all the areas of concern that I've specify. The rod came to me about 95% to my liking. There was just the tip guide that was slightly off angled...but not too bad. I will be purchasing a couple more rods from him in the future. The shipping was half the time they have promised which was simply great. :D

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:33 pm

If I can I'll shop Cabalas... They shipped my trowling motor... no charge.And quicker than promised...... and BPS wouldn't even sell me one.. (can't ship or mail it to Hawaii)

I also try to buy direct from the manufacturers web site. Senko, Bass Assassin, Gamagatsu, Yozuri, etc...... you have more choices on size and color.
BP and Cabelas sometimes don't carry all the sizes.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:33 am

I received my reel yesterday afternoon after waiting 3 weeks. On the box it instructed the carrier to just leave it at the door if no response! How dumb is that! Very nice reel and just in time for my trip. Now I have to decide which 2 reels I want to bring with me. Decisions, decisions.
Still, I won't order from BASS PRO until they change their standard shipping service to Hawaii.

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:26 pm

my first and only experience w/ bps- i bought my first cheapie fly rod combo and other stuff- spinner, lures etc. other stuff came in a smaller box- parcel post 2 weeks later. 3 wks passed no fly combo- called to tell them i did not receive and wanted another. They told me i'd have to wait another 2 weeks before i could make a "claim". of course on the last day of the 2nd waiting period, the combo arrives. Cabelas has the shipping down pat so I normally order from them.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:03 pm

How is this one? My friend does an order over the phone to bps. About a week later I MAIL in an order to bps. Several weeks later, I get my package and my friend still has not recieved. It took another phone call and a another week for him to get his package. The last order I made took a while also. Cabelas is faster, but I will continue to buy from bps because they have some things cabelas doesn't have.

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:18 pm

I frequently use both companies but I haven't had the issues you guys are having. BPS is usually pretty good but it's been a couple of months since I've ordered anything though. Last month I ordered a ton of stuff from Cabela's for my new bow and they did an awesome job! One thing I've never done is order a rod on-line. I just can't buy it without actually feeling it in-hand. I also order things directly from the manufacture. Yamamoto had my order here within a couple of days. I was impressed.
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:51 pm

OK Scratch my last post about not having issues with BPS. I ordered some lures and such over 2 weeks ago and they just arrived. That was the longest I ever had to wait for any items from BPS. :evil: I ordered some Rage Tail shads...has anyone tried them out yet? I saw KVD fishing with them on TV....looked too good not to try. :lol:
Dave

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:31 am

I tried ordering two Cattmax rods reels/ combos and other stuff adding up to $600+ dollars from BPS last week and they said they couldnt ship it to Hawaii. I complained they said sorry and I called Cabelas.

Cabelas sent my order out 2 day air and I had great customer service again.

I am very Peed at BPS. Seeing how I spend $100-$1,000 a month with them and they all the sudden wanna say screw Hawaii. Im about ready to turn my back on them and not look back.

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:03 pm

Good Lord! $100-$1000 per month? :shock: Are you insane man?? Surely you don't go through that much equipment in a month? If you lose that many lures, you might want to take up some casting lessons or something! :lol: It sounds like you need to spend some of that money on stocks in BPS! :lol:
Dave

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:11 pm

Oh forgot to ask you if you've ever used the CatMaxx rods before? I heard they have a chronic problem with weak eyelets. People say they bend easily and the guides crack. Just curious.
Dave

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:08 pm

Im a gear collector 8) . I just keep buying crap. As for the Cattmax rods I heard the same about the eyes but will find out next week. The wife flies to Cali Thursday and I have a order put together for her to fill while she is there :wink: .

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:01 pm

Eh Brah, I know exactly what you mean. After my divorce, I went haywire buying equipment and tackle. I didn't even use half the stuff but it was fun to collect. I was bitten by the soft plastic bug. I think I had every soft plastic bait known to da man!! :D It was fun but I wish I had all that money back!
Dave

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:56 am

I'm worse than you guys because I got all this stuff and I hardly ever go fishing! Collecting is a real hobby for me.
18 baitcasting reels
4 spinning reels
14 casting rods
4 spinning rods
That's not even counting the cheap ones that I have laying around!
As an example, on my last trip to Texas last month, I bought 6 rods and 2 reels. Out of those, I only used one rod and now I am already thinking about ordering another rod (Falcon Cara T7) and reel (Shimano Metanium MG7).
I need help.

Return to “General Discussion”