DLNR Patrolling Lake

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

DLNR Patrolling Lake

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:19 pm

:o :o :o
It was a complete surprise when I saw the two little boats round the bend and turn toward us. They were uniformed Department of Land and Natural Resources officers. Hawaii's game wardens. I wasn't surprised that they were obviously coming over to check my fishing licence and life jackets.... the surprise was that this is the first time in 30 something years I had ever seen them out in a boat patrolling Lake Wilson. I didn't even know they had patrol boats.

I've met them from time to time checking anglers at the Wahiawa State Freshwater Fishing Park boat ramp. They usually drop by on weekends, but they will visit at any time during the week too.

DLNR has some neat little boats. They looked like a cross between a 12 foot Zodiac and a Jet Ski. Has the little blue flashing light and everything. 8)

The Officers checked our fishing licence, entry permit, and made sure the PFD were aboard.(Yes you do need to have your fishing licence with you while fishing... I keep mine sealed in a Zip-loc sandwich bag there in my tackle box.) :wink:

I commented that I'd never seen them on the lake before and they said they had received a complaint about "some kids racing around in small boats, in a fast reckless manner." (There is a 5 MPH speed limit on the lake) I've heard the speed limit was to minimize the boats wake and cut down on erosion.... It's also easy to tip over some of the smaller boats on the lake. And besides, making a big wake just isn't being very nice to your fellow anglers. :roll:

We talked a little while about the fishing and the weather. Then they were on their way again. It's nice to know that if you do call in a complaint to DLNR.... they will follow up on it. :D
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:49 pm

Excuse my rant Stan but I spoke to the one at the ramp and they are a joke. They want to come out and enforce all the sudden????? Either make their prescence permanent or dont bother. The guy didnt seem to know alot about the lake and said they were marine units so they dont normally do freshwater stuff. He said they were getting complaints about people keeping fish, no fishing license, No PFD including bank fishermen, and charters out of a state park. They even boarded one guys boat. He also said they will be out more often and enforcing the rules.

I speed around the lake and so does everyone that is capable of doing more then 5mph. Even the ones who complain about it. I know when to slow down, and where the dangers are. If they start enforcing these rules we will all have tickets and 80% of the boats wont be able to launch from a ramp the state doesnt even own.

My issues:

1. If your going to enforce them follow them. They were speeding around throwing a wake.

2. Kick the homeless out if you are going to enforce. They dont have PFDs, or license.

3. Instead of wasting state money on this why not a better stocking/ management , or pollution control program.

4. Do something about the ramp/Dam. You let a condemned Dam, and falling apart ramp endanger people but want to write tickets for B.S.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:47 pm

Now that you mention it... How do you think Boy Scout Island got it's name. The little island was a show place. Well maintained camp sites, and used almost every weekend by one scout troop or another. The kids loved camping there. Fishing. Everyone took good care of it.

Then the state decided... No camping on the lake.

But they let the homeless shanty towns make a mess of the few accessable fishing areas on the lake.

I think we should start camping again.... if someone tells us, sorry, NO CAMPING, we'll just tell them were homeless.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's the spirit Stan! Too bad everyone knows who your are :lol: :lol: :lol:

DBL'D
angler level

boy blue on the lake

Postby DBL'D » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:32 pm

i thought running a guide service was allowed an i have a desire to do just that later as my skill gets much better.i didnt know about the speed limit and that is my fault. like you said we can no longer camp at boy scout island. security at the ramp is super iffy, and the home less are always intimitimidating.what a shame these guys are blazing around looking for ways to make money off of the boating community.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu May 01, 2008 5:28 pm

Lrry93 wrote:He said they were getting complaints about people keeping fish, no fishing license, No PFD including bank fishermen, and charters out of a state park. They even boarded one guys boat. He also said they will be out more often and enforcing the rules.

I thought there are fishing guides on the lake with a large number of their clientèle being Japanese nationals. Are these guide/charters illegal?

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Fri May 02, 2008 10:37 pm

Its not illegal. DLNR officers are just stupid. The dont even have ownership of the the ramp. Just the park and are supposed to enforce the lake rules that they dont even follow or know. They dont even know what type of fish are in the lake. I do not see how they could enforce anything with the condition they have allowed the lake to get in.

Return to “General Discussion”