Top Water Action

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Top Water Action

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:15 am

Top Water Action

For the last three days, most of the peacock bass we've been catching have been on topwater lures. This was great news and lots of fun for the people who feel that a fish striking a topwater lure is the ultimate fishing experience. It is thrilling to watch.... the fish comes charging in and smacks the floating lure right up there where you can see it and hear it.

We've used the Rebel Pop-R, the Yo-Zuri 3D popper, Torpedo, and Tiny Torpedo. (2 1/2 to 3 inch sizes) Color and style didn't seem to matter.

Chris likes to unscrew the trailer hook, take the little propeller off the back of the Torpedo and fish it like a Sammy. Remember, your not fishing for Largemouth Bass here.... Move that lure..... don't stop....... Peacock Bass like it fast.

We've taken schooling fish in the middle of the lake and single fish right against the shore. The size of the Peacock Bass ranged from 8 inches to around 3 pounds. Most were in the 1 to 2 pound size. Those big fish are still in the pre-spawn mode and not being very co-operative when it comes to chasing lures at the moment.

I know it doesn't really count to you "topwater purists", but I have been having great results fishing a Bass Assassin shad. I like the 3" white shad with no weight. I fish it fast, right on the surface. Yesterday I was fishing with Arron, and his Big Brother, Loui the Fish. I would cast the lure and hand Arron the rod. He reeled it in, and I would cast again. (later in the day Arron started casting on his own). We lost count of the fish he caught.... I know it was over 15 or 20.
When fishing with inexperienced anglers, I prefer that the lures swishing close to my head only have one hook insted of two or three star hooks attached. And yes, I smash down ALL the barbs on all the hooks in my boat..... even the star hooks on the lures. Makes for less stuck lures along the shore........ and easy removal of hooks from my shirt, my hat, and from me.
Last edited by Stan Wright on Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

topwater

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:19 am

The topwater action has been good this whole month. I have noticed some sickly tucunare lately, which seems to be normal for this time of year. Also picking up some small bass lately, probably hatchery bass.

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:09 pm

the hatchery just released over 1,000 LM bass about 3 weeks ago

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:52 pm

Or removal of hooks from the carpet on your boat :oops:

Looks like fun! even more fun on a deer hair popper :wink: :lol:

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:17 pm

The top water action was pretty hot Thursday morning. Caught a bunch and ALL on a Pop R. Fun times!!! By 11:00 they took a nap.
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:52 am

Here is a nice one taken on a Pop R last week.

Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:34 pm

Nice one....
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “Fishing Reports”