"Executive" Fly/Spin Combos- any good?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Boatless
King Sushi level

"Executive" Fly/Spin Combos- any good?

Postby Boatless » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:04 am

As my fly fishing obsession escalates, I've been wondering about getting one of these to accompany me on my trips. I'm sure the spinning reel is so-so but how is the fly set-up? And I've seen one by daiwa and one other brand. Any others?

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:12 pm

I started fly fishing with a Shakespeare/Pflueger travel combo similar to the Daiwa you've described.

They are okay. But I would much prefer a 4-piece travel fly rod instead.

When you collapse a 4-piece 9' fly rod, each piece is 27" long. It should fit nicely in a suitcase.

I have a TFO NXT travel combo. It includes a 4-piece 9' fly rod (there are 4 different weight to choose from), a disc drag cast aluminum reel, backing, fly line, a rod/reel case and a No-Fault Lifetime Guarantee. The case is 30" long. The combo cost under $200 which is a great deal considering everything you get for it.

If you want a cheap combo to fish and not have to worry about damaging it, go ahead with the Daiwa. Just make sure you can choose a rod that is at least 7' long. A longer rod cast better.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:29 am

Ken, Boatless,

I've tried for years to set up a combo for both spinning/fly, it nevers seems to workout. It may work great for spinning, but not have the backbone for fly. It may have the flexbility of a fly rod, but not for spinning. You get the picture.

Worse thing is, I work for a fishing rod company!

I do agree with Ken, a 4-piece setup is the only way to go. Easier for packing and traveling.

Good luck boys in finding the perfect combo :twisted:

Bass regards, Mel
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:27 pm

Hey Mel,

Yeah, I've realized that there is no perfect solution to a spin/fly combo...since then, I bought my travel fly rod (and I'll buy all my fly rods in 4-piece model from now on), as well as my travel spinning rod.

My current travel spinning rod is a TFO TiCR2. For $100, this 3-piece rod is very nice with quite some back bone and a quick tip. Plus...the wonderful No-Fault Lifetime Warranty.

I'm planning to sell all my 2-piece spinning rods and replace them with these 3-piece rods in different action. I might also sell my casting rods and replace them with these 3-piece.

Of course, I still have to put the TiCR2 to the real world test before I go and sell all my rods :lol:

We'll see how it performs in CA in roughly a month...oh my...so soon...can't wait! I'm feeling all the excitement just like when I was anticipating the Hawaii trip. I love it when my heart races like this. :lol:

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:29 am

I have only 4 piece travel rods for my fly fishing. Now I've started buying a few spinning and bait casting travel rods. We're traveling to Mexico for bass fishing this fall and using travel rods will sure make it a lot easier than having to deal with that big 8 foot rod case. I think the airlines have started charging $50 for for that second piece of luggage. (rod case)

I wish there was a "one size combo fits all".... but I'm afraid your just going to have to spring for a fly rod and a spinning rod. At least they should both fit in the same small rod case. :D
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:55 pm

Hey Stan, just curious, which travel rods are in your arsenal of deadly weapons?

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:42 am

All my fly rods ar the 4 piece Sage. The casting and spinning rods range from Bass Pro, to Finwick, to Master, to Sage travel rods.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:31 am

I see. I check out the BassPro travel rods in person at our Ontario location...they are nice...but I didn't like that metal ring at the top of the grip where the blank enters the grip. I can see disaster happening when the blank is loaded under the strain of a big fish and that metal ring touches the blank.

I think most of my rods in the future will be TFO's the way it is going right now :lol: Not sure if that's a good thing of bad thing in a long run...but it's the best thing right now for my future traveling needs :D

Hey, when you visit, we can go to BassPro in Ontario and you can stock up on some Roadrunners and other goodies. :wink: It's just 20min from my apartment :D

Return to “General Discussion”