Amazon Peacocks

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Boatless
King Sushi level

Amazon Peacocks

Postby Boatless » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:55 pm

Just saw "hunt for big fish" on versus, they went to Surinam for PB, used all sorts of weird lures(some "are you kidding? nothings gonna bite that" types :lol: ) and they bit. My question is, are the Tucs here a lot pickier than the S. Am ones? I've got a few cranks that have never been hit.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:05 pm

I'm pretty sure that the ones in Wilson are a different species than the tucs you see on T.V. I think the ones here are butterfly peacocks. I guess they don't get as big.

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:26 pm

Yeah. the guy said its butterfly peacock they were catching and looks exactly like the C. ocellaris here but way more agressive and way, way larger so thats probably it.

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:44 am

Boatless wrote:Yeah. the guy said its butterfly peacock they were catching and looks exactly like the C. ocellaris here but way more agressive and way, way larger so thats probably it.

They are different. Usually they are catching Temesis on those shows which reach the 25lb range.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:46 pm

Next time Mel visits, we can try some of his big lures. :lol:

There is a guy from Japan who fishes with Chris. The first day he only uses "big" topwater baits. He get's a few strikes. The next day he fishes smaller topwater lures.... more strikes, more fish.

I don't know about lures, but those big PB sure like big live bait. :twisted:
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:49 pm

Did you see that show Hook-N-Look on VS? Peacock bass in Miami. The underwater part looked just like Lake Wilson.... All the same tropical fish and shopping carts.

Good show.

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:29 pm

yeah that episode of hooknlook was great. Although they were fishing amongst nice houses versus a homeless village. They should do an underwater thing at lake wilson. I'm tempted to buy one of those aqua view things. Does anyone have one of those?

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:50 am

I know one person that tried a Aqua view on Wilson and said the water is to dirty to see anything. I have read around on them and alot of people are saying the same. Waste of money from what I have gathered for here or I would have already had one. If you do get one buy the color camera.

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:38 am

yeah thats kinda what i figured. Wilson is murk city. A few months back the b/w version was on sale at cabelas for 200buck and I was seriously considering getting one.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:35 am

My tournament partner in Ca has one, we've used it a few times but water is a huge issue.

One day we were out and kept marking TONS of fish on his fishfinders but we couldn't get bit. So we dropped his aqua view down and there were literally hundreds of LGM stacked up ignoring everything we had to offer.

Another time we were pre-fishing a tournament at Lake Havasu and while he was getting the trailer I was playing around with the aqua view at the docks. Well my partner didn't tie up his boat very well and when he came back with the truck and trailer he saw his boat out in the middle of the marina and me with my face stuck down on the aqua view looking at bass. Man the water was cold that day!!!!!!!!! :D

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

watch n discuss

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:21 pm

I think our fish are more educated than the S. American ones. Lake Wilson has more fishing pressure so I think our fish are"smarter". However, when they school in large numbers they become really aggressive and seem to lose all fear. It seems like you can catch them on almost any kind of lure. They are like locust and just swarm. I can stick my pole tip in the water to free up a hung lure and they will not run away. When they are not in big schools they become more wary and you have to become more carefully when you approach them.

On the hooknlook show, the guide mentioned that when he starts out he likes to see what direction the fish are looking, up or down. At first, I thought that might be good idea. After thinking it over, the fish can be looking up one hour and down the next. They also might change levels during the course of the day.

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:12 pm

After finally seeing the show. Those are the same species we have here (cichla occelaris). Much more agressive there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:00 am

They are probably a lot more aggressive due to other fish @ the top of the food chain like the wolffish and piranha. At the lake, they're at the top thats it

On the program, in one of the scenes it looked like he did catch a
c. temensis - speckled version though they didnt make a big deal about it.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:32 pm

One of the guides on one of the Amazon was saying that the peacocks actually eat the piranha.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:32 am

That's probaly why we haven't caught any paranha in Lake Wilson lately. :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”