Swim bait collection (Obsession or Addiction)

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Swim bait collection (Obsession or Addiction)

Postby kahuna bass » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:06 am

Greetings All,

Currently on the road, with free time on my hands. I had plans on giving a Fred Hall Show report, but had to leave early on this trip. :(

However, I did take some pictures of my swim bait lure collection.

Sometimes I wonder, is it:

"Obsession"-the domination of one's thoughts by a persistent desire
"Addiction"- a state of being enslaved to a habit

Hey, its only fishing :twisted:

By the way, can't forget my fishing buddy :wink:

Last count, I had over 400 large Mouth Bass Swim baits (Only 250 on the board), rest in storage containers. Range of size: 4" to 14". I've only used about 5% of my swim baits hanging. I know, sick hobby :twisted:

Bass regards, Mel "kahuna bass"
Dark side live baiter and swim baiter tackle ho!
Last edited by kahuna bass on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:51 am

That is super duper awesome! You should invite Steve Kennedy over to check out your collection. Me and my 17 baitcasting reels (formerly 23) can definitely relate to your sickness. The difference is that you actually fish a lot, while I hardly fish at all. So sad. I'm leaving for Texas on Thursday, so even if I try to resist, I know I'll come back with 1 or 2 more reels from Bass Pro Shops. I am gonna check out the Pflueger Patriarch and Shimano Chronarch 101B (can't afford the CORE). Also the Daiwa Tierra and Shimano Saros spinning reels.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:40 am

Skunked,

Scary fact is, that I don't fish that much bass any more.

Last year, I fished Clear Lake for 3 days and another 7 days in San Diego. I believe, I fished 5 days in Hawaii and that's it for fresh water fishing. (15 days total :cry: ).

Hope to change that this year, but that ain't looking to good. It's March, and I haven't wet the line yet.......

As for reels, your collection sounds impressive. I think I have a total of 22 reels, both spinning and conventional. for fresh water. Hope to get a few more this year.

Remember, check out the spawning fish. I wouldn't be surprise if the big girls haven't started already. Have fun in Texas!!!!!

Bass regards, Mel "Kahuna Bass"
Dark side guy! :twisted:

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:44 am

Skunked...FYI...My buddy in Texas said there are some hogs already up in the shallows @ Fork, Alan Henry and other lakes. White Texas rigged lizzards with light weights and tubes are working for him. Water temps are slowly creeping up. When are you going to Fork??
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:45 pm

Would you be willing to part with one of those Basstrix or an STI Pupfish if you have them? Those two swimbaits have been eluding me for the longest time. I thought I would have a chance at the Fred Hall show, but no such luck. They were selling rago tools for $80, but I had already spent my money elsewhere. Dang! I understand the swimbait addiction as I have a surf fishing addiction. Anyway, that is an insane collection and I cannot wait to see all the bass that it will land.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:38 pm

Dave,
We are leaving for Houston this Thursday the 13th. Wife and I will drive to Alba on the 25th for our fishing on the 26th. I hope the weather cooperates, because if we have to cancel, that's a lot of wasted gas money and time, not to mention the motel room expense.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:09 am

Mel, you are Crazy! If you get tired of them taking up all that space send them this way!

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:26 am

Skunked - Best of luck and safe travel to you and your wife. Catch a good one for me and don't let the wife outfish you too hard. :P
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:43 am

Greetings All,

Skunked - Enjoy the trip. Hey, if the wife catches more and the biggest, it's all good. Remember:

- Bass fishing in Texas, early spring - Awesome
- On vacation, doing something you enjoy - Excellent
- Bass fishing with the wife - Priceless :wink:

Have a grea time!!

BSP - What color Basstrix swim bait are you looking for? Most of my basstrix are 6"-7". Bruce Porter, owner of Basstrix, was nice enough to give me some of his last pour, about 4 years ago. He no longer pours this model. Sorry, no luck on the STI Pupfish. I had a chance to get a couple in Japan a few years ago, but I didn't :(

LRRY93 - Your right, I am crazy. I think your better off with the smaller baits. By the way, have you ever used the wooden baits? Loud noise making swim baits?

Bass regards, Mel Kahuna bass

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:43 am

I never used the wood swimbaits. Just soft plastics.

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:22 pm

The standard rainbow trout would be nice if you have one to spare. I knew that he had stopped producing them, but I never could figure out why. I have always heard about how great those internal lead heads were for bottom bouncing, but since I got into swimbaits a year ago I never had a chance to try them.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:40 pm

Mel... you need some time off to go fishing.... Don't worry about those big expensive lures... I'll have plenty of "Live Bait" you can use. :twisted:

Skunked... see if you can get a few packages of those big white lizzards they use at the Fork for big bass. Then you can come out on the boat with me and teach me how to use them on the spawning Tukes. :lol:

Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:03 am

Stan,

Your right, I need to go fishing. 8) It's that time of year. Just maybe, I'll be able to finally break the 10 lbs mark. :twisted:

BSP- I got an extra basstrix for you. I'll have to remember to bring it with me, when I had back out to the islands.

Bass regards, Mel "Kahuna bass"
Dark side swim baiter and live baiter too

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:34 pm

kahuna bass wrote:Stan,

Your right, I need to go fishing. 8) It's that time of year. Just maybe, I'll be able to finally break the 10 lbs mark. :twisted:

BSP- I got an extra basstrix for you. I'll have to remember to bring it with me, when I had back out to the islands.

Bass regards, Mel "Kahuna bass"
Dark side swim baiter and live baiter too

Thanks Mel, but there is one problem. I live on the mainland!

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:54 pm

Good luck, Skunked. Have a safe trip. Do not forget to bring home some southern bass to put in lake wilson!

Return to “General Discussion”