It's time for Bass Pro shop!

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

It's time for Bass Pro shop!

Postby kahuna bass » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:29 am

Greetings All,

Just got into Virginia, after a 2 day delay in Washington D.C., it's time to go shopping! We'll, maybe looking 8) Got see what will work for the Tuc's!

After spending all this time on the main land, and freezing in the winter time. You sure can get spoiled, with all that beautiful weather in Hawaii. I'm so ready to come back home 8)

Hope the Tuc's have started to eat, after swimming in all that chocolate milk. :twisted:

Bass regards, Mel "kahuna bass"
Dark side live baiter and swim baiter :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:16 pm

I wish I could go to Bass Pro. If you go there please check out this reel and tell me what you think because I just ordered one (left-hand version). I hope it meets the standards of you, the #1 Tackle Junkie! (keep in mind it's only $119) I really wanted a Shimano Core, but my wife would divorce me!
Daiwa TD-Pro. BPS exclusive.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:23 pm

hello Kahuna Bass,

I went to the lake this past week, caught some tucunare. They seem to be eating well, all of them are fat! One of the tagged fish I caught had some "rash", but other than that, they all looked healthy.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:16 pm

Hey Skunked and 007,

Bass Pro Shop is just a bad, bad, bad place. End result, more tackle to deal with :twisted: Nah, not really, but a great place after all. It's like going to Wally World!!

Skunked - I didn't have time to check out your TD-pro reel, but I'll be back before I leave this week. I did check out your reel on-line, looks great for the price. Your right, Shimano Core is the One!!

Spent most of my time checking out bass stuff (soft baits and crank baits). By the way, Road Runner style baits galore!! Many selections and colors. Use to be the stuff for Tuc's, back in the day.

007 - Glad to see the fish back on the bite. Belly's full of bait is always a good thing. Now it's time to go catch Mama Tuc! :twisted:

When I get back home, I'll send a picture of "my addiction to fish'n tackle". I'm a "tackle ho" :twisted:

Bass regards, Mel "kahuna bass"
Dark side live baiter, swim baiter, tackle junkie :roll:

palmettopete
minnow level

Postby palmettopete » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:33 pm

Whenever I would go to Bass Pro back in SC all I would see is dirty looks from the GF for a day! I would get myself into all kinds of trouble with all of the inshore, offshore, and hunting stuff that would find it's way into my basket! Oh well, $$ well spent! :D

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:46 pm

Greetings,

Skunked - Stopped by BPS this afternoon and checked out your reel. Excellent choice. For the price you paid, you got a reel that free spools great, smooth, and has great lines.

If I didn't have so much tackle :twisted: , I too would have bought one. You can't beat the price, escpacially for a Daiwa reel.

Palmettopete- You're right, with all the great hunting and fishing stuff, it's hard to hold back in a store like that!!!

Who's wants to go to Disneyland, when we have Bass Pro Shop!! 8)

Bass regards, Mel Kahuna bass
Dark side live baiter, swim baiter and BPS junkie!!!!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:56 am

Mel,
Thanks for checking out the reel. If it meets your standards, then it must be pretty good. I'm relieved. Maybe I can use it a few times and get used to it, then use it on my guided trip to Lake Fork next month. If not, I will use my trusty Antares AR because it is pretty much foolproof and solid.
I actually wanted the Daiwa Advantage 153HSTLA, but BPS doesn't carry it, and I had $50 in BPS gift cards to use (X-mas gift from my wife!). Oh well, I can always get that one later from ebay. Who said it had to be an either/or? Hehe!
I'm curious to see how the Magforce Z performs. I hear it is not as conducive to long casts as the Magforce V. It is said to be best for short casts and pitching.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:36 pm

Skunked,

I really think you'll enjoy it.

I'll check out your other reel next week at the Fred Hall Show in Long Beach. Daiwa always has a big display, with all thier factory reps.

When you head out to Lake Fork next month, I strongly recommend some baits to fish for the spawning girls. Matt lure and Bait Smith both have outstanding bluegill swim baits. Last thing any big girls wants on her nest is a pesky bluegill!!! :twisted: Lake Fork has big girls!!

Checkout: www.mattlures.com & www.baitsmith.com

Have fun!!

Bass regards, Mel Kahuna bass
Dark side swim baiter, live baiter, and tackle ho 8)

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:59 pm

kahuna bass wrote:Greetings,

Skunked - Stopped by BPS this afternoon and checked out your reel. Excellent choice. For the price you paid, you got a reel that free spools great, smooth, and has great lines.

I see that you do the free spool test just like me! I don't know if it really means anything, but I have fun doing it. Wouldn't the reels with the heavy spools, which is what we don't want, free spool the longest? Also, sometimes the factory oil is crappy, so it slows down the spool.
Anyway, I have tested many reels at BPS and by far the two that stand out are the Pflueger President and the Daiwa TD-X. Those spools spun forever! The President is also one of the smoothest reels I have ever tried. Too bad no lefty.
FYI, here is a thread describing my first trip to Lake Fork. I hope we do as well this time, but I'm not so sure since we couldn't get the same guide this time.
http://www.hawaiibassfishing.com/forum/ ... .php?t=252

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:31 pm

I am now in love with the Abu Garcia Revo SX. Check it out. It is a awesome reel!!!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:55 am

I have a Revo STX-L which is technically supposed to be better than the SX, but I think the black color scheme of the SX looks so much cooler! I also like the red color of the SC (Cabela's exclusive). Why is the top of the line model the least attractive? Honestly, I can't get used to the braking system. It is very finicky. If I don't have it set just right, it backlashes sometimes. I prefer the set it and forget it system that Shimano uses. I must say that the Revo can cast incredibly far and with little effort, and the retrieve is super smooth. Enjoy your reel!

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:09 pm

I was first exposed to the SX in October while in the mainland. I couldnt believe how smooth, light, and comfortable it was. Alot of what I read and heard said there was nothing to justify the $50 increase of the STX. Plus like you said the SX looks a hell of alot cooler. I have had minimal backlash issues with mine. They were all my fault. Smooth as butter! I will be buying more.

I seen the SC. It looks like a good value for the reel.

Return to “General Discussion”