Report From The Lake

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

tucmaster
master baiter level

Report From The Lake

Postby tucmaster » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:06 pm

The water level continues to slowly drop. We released 25 tucs today, five of them rats and the rest in the 2-3 lb. range. The biggest was a hump-head male that weighed 5 lbs. 3 oz. (it seems that this year we must have hooked and released at least five other male tucs at this exact weight). Also released a 3 lb. channel cat today.

Highlight of the day was when a big female tuc (no hump) came cruising by and decided to stop and hang out right in front of us. She was about 5 inches wide across the top of her back (7 lb. plus range) and she wouldn't even sniff our live bait. Then a group of three big males stopped by, and after hooking and releasing the 5 lb. 3 oz. fish and another male about 3 lbs., we finally got the big female to take a bait. Unfortunately, the hook didn't stick and she disappeared. She was quite a bit larger than the 5 lb. 3 oz. male. The really big ones are beginning to appear more frequently - we'll keep trying.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Big Fish

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:23 am

If the female was that big, can you imagine how big some of the males are in the lake could be?
Unlike largemouth bass, the male peacock bass is larger than the female. When ever you see two fish on a spawning bed, the male is always biggest.

I've talked with guys who have caught peacock bass in Lake Wilson weighing 11 pounds. One topped the scales at 14#. That is just a tad larger than the state record 9 pounder. Looks like we have chance?

Since Lake Wilson is "catch and release"..... I was wondering how I'm going to "legally" weigh in that 14 pounder for a new state record??????? What? Who said that? Who said something about counting my chickens before they hatch??????

LOL,
Stan

tucmaster
master baiter level

Postby tucmaster » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:03 pm

Thanks, Stan. I recall asking in my Jan. 29, 2006 post for information about the reported 14 pounder, but I hadn't heard about any 11 pounders. If you spoke directly to the people who caught those bad boys, then that's the first time I've heard someone actually say that they spoke to the anglers who caught them. And coming from you, the reports must be reliable. Do any photos of these fish exist?

Yep, there's no way under the current law that anyone could legally weigh in a new state record from Lake Wilson, unless you had a portable certified scale with you and documented the weighing with photos or video clips. And it's not like I'd be the one to break the record anyway, so no harm. I can only wish . . .

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:50 pm

The IGFA will certify a portable scale. (Boga-Grip) if you send it to them.

I remember Peter Dun-Rankin (inventer of the Pili Lure) use to take his portable scales down to that scale place in Kaimuki to get them certified every year. I may check into that the next time I go up to Nervous Water.

Just like going for a world record, geting your scale certified takes time and energy. I have a lot of respect for anyone who even goes through all the paperwork involved in submiting for a world record.

No, the guy I spoke with didn't take any pictures. I've fished with him and seen him in action. If anyone could land a big one, he could.

Remember: "All fishermen are liers except for you and me........ and I still want to see a picture of the one you caught."

LOL
Stan

Return to “General Discussion”