A Fun Morning

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

A Fun Morning

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:16 pm

The water temperature this morning was 68 degrees. Water visibility is 3 to 4 feet. The lake level is going down.... about 3 feet from last week.

The smaller (under one pound) fish were not that aggressive. If they didn't hook up on the first strike, they were gone. But there were still enough around to keep things interesting. Then there were the larger peacock bass... the ones that went after the lure, but you just couldn't stick.

Around 11:00 AM we rounded the bend and saw what looked like schooling fish.
The glassy surface all around Morgans Pt. was boiling with the splashes of feeding peacock bass chasing shad.

Capt. Steve, the Kona big game skipper that I fished with last year in Christmas Island, cast out a small Bass Assassin. Clear with a hint of purple along the back.

I was already hooked up to a one pound fish. The water under his bait exploded and his new rod bent over in a tight circle.

They loved his lure. In the next hour he caught, tagged, and released a 17 inch, 2 1/2 pound peacock bass.... a 20", 4 3/4 pounder...... a 20 1/2", 4 1/2 pounder, and another fish already tagged with #3608 that looked to be larger than the 4 pounder. (Steve was holding the fish and after we read the tag.... the fish shook loose from his grip and fell back into the lake before we could measure and weigh it.)

We also caught a bunch of 1 to 2 pounders. Then there were all the big peacock bass that we saw chasing our lures, that we didn't catch.

It was a very good morning.

Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:16 am

Stan, what kind of rod and reel was he using? You know me the tackle junkie. More interested in the gear than the fish! I like those split grips, but the overall rod, I can't identify. I'm thinking about getting a new Shimano Cumara or a Falcon Cara T7.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:20 am

It's a custom rod that he made just for this trip. He was using #8 pound test line. I'll forward this thread to him so he can give you all the info.
Stan

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:00 am

Stan!!

Why are you posting pictures of my "secret" lure :D

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:09 am

You sound like my son Chris..... :lol: We didn't know it was a good lure till Steve found it in the boat and started catching 10 fish to my 1..... :o :o
Stan

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:56 pm

I've had 2 packs of those things in my tacke box for months from bass pro. I used em a couple of times but caught nothing. The movement in the water is awesome so I'm not surprised the tucs hit it. Sorry Ca Bass but guess I'll be using it too!!!!! Mahalo Stan!!!

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:58 pm

I am going to order some of those today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:57 pm

Those are probably my 1st or 2nd favorite lure for LMB, and when I throw them at wilson I actually catch more bass with those than any other lure I use. Sometimes for what ever reason I have no problem getting the tucs to strike them but I have a hard time hooking them. I think my favorite thing about them is if you have them hooked up right the are practically weedless.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:58 am

Greetings Stan,

Gotta love those plastic jerk baits. :D Those are one of my "go to baits", espacially during the summer, when fish are not on the chew. Sometimes ripping them will draw attention, which can cause a chain reaction bites.

I also noticed the rod set-up. Low profile and light weight. I'm very familure with the design. What do you think, 6-6 ft 2-6 line weight, segmented handle set-up? 8)

Currently in Japan, checking out all the new bass baits.

Hoping to be out your way in a few months.

Bass regards, Mel "Kahuna Bass"
Dark side live baiter :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Return to “Fishing Reports”