Crappie?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

skunked
King Sushi level

Crappie?

Postby skunked » Thu May 31, 2007 11:20 am

When I was in Texas, people were as enthused about crappie as they were about bass. I was wondering if these fish would do well in our lake and if not, why? Seems like they thrive in warm water. Maybe they need a larger body of water? My wife caught a 8" crappie on a 5" soft plastic bait. Crazy fish.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Thu May 31, 2007 11:30 am

They do fine in small bodies of water, and they love hot weather. The only problem is that they breed an insane amount, and can quickly overwhelm a body of water. The lake may not want them to be stocked for that reason.

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Thu May 31, 2007 3:32 pm

But oh are they great eating! My second favorite fresh water fish to eat. Walleye is my number one. I'd go for some crappie stocking in a heart beat but only if I could eat them.
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:52 pm

If you ask me the lake needs a very fast reproducing fish that is worth a crap that can out compete the cichlids and become a food source for the bass.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:41 pm

Thread revival! Stan, since you are the most influential person here, I was wondering what you think about this. I personally think that crappie would only get established if the cichlids and devils were eradicated first, and we know that is almost impossible.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:26 am

There is talk about not enough food for the bass... Crappie might fill the need. I'm going to email this thread to Annett (Aquitic Resources) to see what she thinks.

If fish are safe to eat from the lake.... crappie are good eating, fun and easy to catch. They might make good food for the bass.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:10 pm

You are absolutely right Stan. I caught many LM in Texas that had small crappie down in their throats as well as bluebills.
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Return to “General Discussion”