Clear lake fish report (a little late)

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Clear lake fish report (a little late)

Postby kahuna bass » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:57 am

Greetings all,

Had the opportunity to fish Clear lake, northern California, last week, for some epic large mouth bass fishing.

Now, some are going to say, "bs", because of no pictures, but it does'nt matter, because I was there.

Fished it three days, mainly with swim baits and other stuff :twisted: Didn't expect much, because there was an FLW tournament, the weekend before. It didn't matter, fishing was great.

My buddy and I caught 25-50 fish a day, with most over 3 lbs. My buddy's largest was 12-7, my best was 7-5. We had so many fish over 5 lbs. Even caught a bunch of channel cats up to 30 lbs. Fish were not shy, just wanted the larger baits.

If you ever get the chance to fish Clear lake, do it. It's well worth it. Late fall and early spring are the best time for "sure trophy size fish".

Mel Kahuna bass
Dark side live baiter :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:30 am

I believe it, my old tournament partner fishes tournaments there every now and then and tells me how awesome it is, mostly he fishes So Cal tourney though.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:05 am

Ca_Bass wrote:I believe it, my old tournament partner fishes tournaments there every now and then and tells me how awesome it is, mostly he fishes So Cal tourney though.

Ca_Bass,

Clear lake is that good! What was more impressive, my buddy caught his 12-7, I was truly amazed, I get bit, and it's my 7-5!!

That one rock pile produced so well that morning, even better, it was foggy and no one else saw us. Next day was another story. Folks were pre-fishing and we were catching, but keeping it low key, so tournament guys did not see us. The ones who noticed, we only showed them the big cats we caught. :twisted:

Hardest part was trying to hold back the excitement. I wanted to "jump for joy", and my buddy made it very clear, no emotions/excitement. :lol: For the three days, none of the tournament guys knew how good we had it. :twisted: Almost every spot we hit, caught fish.

Heck, I can't even say my buddy's name, because only a few know how he really fishes. Secrecy!!!! It's all legit!!

Kahuna bass
Dark side live baiter/swim baiter :twisted:
Swim baits are like a box of chocolate's :wink:

bsp
master baiter level

Postby bsp » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:41 pm

I need to fish there one of these, hopefully with the new stuff I will pick up at Bass-a-Thon!

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:52 pm

bsp wrote:I need to fish there one of these, hopefully with the new stuff I will pick up at Bass-a-Thon!

BSP,

Your going to like the Bass-a-thon! Rick Grover, owner of Anglers Marine, set's up the best bass show on the West Coast. Even better, its just bass stuff. Lots of great guest and reps from all the major bass tackle in the industry. Be prepared to spend lots of money :P

Even better, enjoy the raffle's. Great prizes. You might even win a bass boat!!

Good luck,
Mel Kahuna bass
Dark side live baiter/swimbaiter :twisted:

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:55 am

Kahuna,

Is the secret technique live stocker trouts? :D I hear those do the trick, if you don't get caught by fish and game :D

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:07 am

Greetings Ca_bass,

I wish that was my secret bait 8)

I've heard stories back in the late 70's and early 80's, where big bass hunters in Southern California, used live stocker trout for bait. Back than, the big girls just went crazy. It surprises me, that every now and than, people will get caught using live trout. It's just not worth it, besides, losing your fishing license for up to ten years. :cry:

It reminds me a couple years ago, I was working a sponsor booth at one of the fishing shows. At the end of the day, a couple of the fishing show workers got a couple stocker trouts from the trout pond, and threw them into the bass tank. I couldn't believe how quick a 10lb bass would enhail a 9 inch trout. After it ate one, it went after another within 30 seconds. :twisted: Have to admit, it was pure rush!

I'll just stick with swim baits and Dark side live baits in Hawaii :twisted:

Kahuna bass :mrgreen:

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:50 pm

I used to see the bass at Lake Casitas chasing trout around all the time, the most notable time I see this larger wake flying through the water, then a even bigger wake right behind it. I was fishing with my buddy out of his boat. The first wake was about a 3-4 pound rainbow getting chased by a bass that I don't wanna guess how big it was because most people that will read this will think I'm crazy(The bass had to have been 20lbs+). The trout was so scared it it actually beached it's self on this island and started flopping around, I guess it was safer out of the water than in it at that moment.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:07 am

This was only a 5 pound fish and look at the size of this $280 lure. The lure looks like a real fish in the water. Amazing.

"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:58 am

Aloha Stan,

It looks like you had the chance to wet the line. Stripers are always fun to catch, espacially when they school up like Tucs. It can get really crazy! :twisted:

By the way, I noticed your 3:16 swim bait, I hope you didn't pay that much. You can get those wake baits for much cheaper, if you have contacts :wink:

Take care, Mel
Dark side live baiter/swim baiter :twisted:

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:26 am

Those baits are crazy expensive. I looked at buying one but changed my mind quickly once I seen the price tag!!!!

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:18 pm

Those wre "prototype experimental" lures that we were testing for the manufacturer. (He does sell them for $280) We were slow troling about 1 1/2 MPH and running the lures waaaaay back. They wiggle (swim) along right at the surface making a nice "V" wake.

They had just started stocking rainbow trout and the stripers were suppose to go on a feeding frenzie..... only problem was the high water temperature and the stripers were someplace else that day. Lucky for the trout.

Also used the "Assassan" and the "Real Fish" lures from Bettencourt Lures. Much, much cheeper.....

There are other lures (a lot cheeper) that work great.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:26 pm

My buddy in Ca has invested A LOT of money in swim baits and after hearing one of his stories I don't know if I could do it. He had some $100+ lure he was throwing hooked up with a 5lbs bass that broke him off. I know it's not a regular thing but after I loose one hundred dollars on a little bigger than average size bass I'd call it quits.

Stan,

What lake is that? Looks hot and like Havasu to me but I wouldn't put any money on it. I miss fishing desert lakes.

Here's some old photos from another of my favorite lakes...Lake Alamo. We were fishing a tournament there, man that one was tough, my partner must have broke of 4 or 5 big fish in all those cottonwood trees I think we finished with 5 fish for about 9 or 10 lbs. The tournament we fished there before this one we had 5 for 18.99 talk about a let down :(

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:44 am

Cottonwood Cove Marina on the Colorado River below Lake Mead. Drive south from LV and take a left at Searchlight, NV.... then only a 14 mile drive to the river. I was fishing with Mark.... www.adventuresinangling.com.

Stan

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:12 pm

At least I had the river system right :) I was surprised at how good the bass fishing is on the Co River. Can't wait to get back on em...though I know once I leave Hawaii I'm gonna miss Wilson just as much as I miss the lakes I used to fish.

Lake Wilson would be a beautiful lake if it had a lot less trash in it. I'd be willing to spend a half day or full day filling my boat with trash if we could get a decent group together to do it and had place to take the trash to when we were finished. Has this been done before or is anyone interested?

Return to “Fishing Reports”