Broke the bank account

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ken
King Sushi level

Broke the bank account

Postby Ken » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:13 pm

Well...I just made 3 impulse buy within the last 48 hours that resulted in $500 out of my bank account in a hurry... :shock: All were pretty good deals though...so I just had to jump on the opportunities :roll: I need a second job to pay for all of them :lol:

Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor V

Backing capacity WF-7 200yd, WF-8 175yd, WF-9 150yd (I'm going to use gel spun line...so I can get 200+yd with the WF-8)

Brand new...bought it off a forum for US$135 shipping and insurance included! (Retail US$200+) :shock:

Here's a picture taken by the seller. I should have it in less than 10 days.

Thomas and Thomas XL2 3-piece 8-wt

Was told it was brand new...but the aluminum case looked a bit battered. The cork on the rod still has plastic on it though...so it looked as good as new (the rest of the rod looks new as well). Moderate-fast action suitable for saltwater fishing. This rod is in the same class as a Sage VT2.

Bought it off a local fly fishing forum for CDN$200 (retail US$420)...picked it up today :shock:

Love to show a pic...but I'm still hiding it from my mom.

Orvis Battenkill Big Game Large Arbor VI

Again, brand new according to seller with box, pouch and papers. It is suitable for line weight from 10-13.

This is still pending shipping charges confirmation from the seller on eBay. But I won the bid at US$175 (Retail US$250 + Shipping). Even if shipping is $35, it's still a good deal.

Now all I need is a 10-wt rod...maybe this summer :roll:

Can wait to fish the flats next time in Hawaii. Yay! :D

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:30 am

The stupidity bug must be going around because I too have just blown Mucho Moolah on a fishing gear purchase. At least you can make use of what you bought, but I probably won't use this reel until I go to Texas in march!
This is what I bought a couple of days ago.
This is the Japanese market version of the Shimano Calais DC (digital control). I just couldn't resist after seeing how "low" this guy was selling it for. The US version retails for $649!! I have been wanting to just try it out, but here in Hawaii, we can't just walk into a store and look at, touch, and try out freshwater fishing gear, so if you really want to try it, you gotta buy it!
Should receive it within a few days. Hope it lives up to the hype. A Daiwa Steez is calling my name too! Make it stop!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:46 am

:shock: Nice reel! Better yet, it's the Japanese version (made in Japan I guess?) Now...how much was it? :lol:

The only set up I can use is the 8-wt here...unless I start fishing muskies with the 10-wt 8) Maybe that's a good idea :lol:

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:13 am

Skunked,

Your my hero!!

Excellent reel. I got a couple of the Antres, but not the DC version.

Your becoming a tackle ho!

Kahuna bass
Dark side live baiter :twisted:
Tackle ho :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

FishinFrenzy
King Sushi level

Postby FishinFrenzy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:08 am

Yo Skunked, that's a crazy reel...Now if you will only USE it! :lol:
Dave

"A bad day of fishin is better than ANY day at work"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:52 pm

Skunked is that the reel with the micro chips in it? It looks a lot like the Calias.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:17 am

Yes, it is the Japanese market version of the Calais 201DC. The reason I got the JDM version was solely due to the lower price. I saved about $180 off the retail price of the CalaisDC! I do worry about the warranty, or if I even have one. That's the risk I took and I hope it doesn't bite me in the (B)ass!
The US version does have a longer handle though. If this thing is anywhere as good as my Antares AR (Calais 100A), it is gonna be awesome!
I guess I am a "tackle Ho"
Next on my list: Shimano Metanium MG7 (CORE equivalent)

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Postby Lrry93 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:41 am

Make sure to write a review on that reel!!!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:59 pm

I finally got to try out my new reel today. I also used my new Pflueger Supreme spinning reel for the first time.
Expensive rod and reel paired up with a $1.69 crankbait and cheap BPS Excel mono. Something is not right here.
This reel weighs only about 7 oz. due to its magnesium body.
First fish caught with my new Antares DC7. Not quite what I had hoped for, but oh well.

Someone asked for a review of my reel. I only stayed out for about an hour until it started raining buckets. Now I know how June Jones felt when they poured the Gatorade on his head!
Pros:
It casts incredibly far with little effort.
No backlashes, which is almost a miracle for me.
I love the whirring sound it makes when casting. Cool!
Very smooth, although not quite as smooth as my Antares AR (Calais 100A)
Cons:
Pricey
Heavy at close to 10 oz.
This JDM version has a smaller handle than the US version. Makes it hard to crank with its 7:1 gear ratio. It should come standard with a longer handle. (There is another model, the Antares DC7LV which has the longer handle but it costs more)
Long term reliability of the DC chip is still a concern.

Overall, I am happy with it. I just hope I get to use it more often. Lately, I've been just whipping with little 1/16 oz. road runners and such.

Pflueger Supreme 8030MG spinning reel
Pros:
Looks nice
Very light weight due to the MG body.
Bail trip action is best I've ever used.
Smooth drag
Cons:
Not as smooth as I had hoped for. There's a clunky feeling while reeling.
Reeling effort is higher than most other reels. I will break it open to see if they are using some really heavy grease or something in there.

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:35 pm

wow, the first ebay picture doesnt do that reel justice. In real life it looks awesome! No backlash too? Good buy! Congrats on the red devil too.....

Return to “General Discussion”