Tukes on the Fly

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Tukes on the Fly

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:49 am

Randall Sakai was in town last week for a graduation so we decided to grab our fly rods and relax for a few hours on Wahiawa Reservoir. The action was slow as we cursed along the shore line blind casting around brush piles for peacock bass. We caught a few small ones and had several more chase. Even the Red Devils were not very aggressive.

We were working only 20 or 30 feet from shore when I snagged a bush and had to go in close to retrieve my fly. That's when we spotted 4 big peacocks guarding nests in one foot of clear water. I backed the boat out a ways, and Randall laid his fly just beyond the larger of the fish. As the fly (a weighted Crazy Charlie looking thing tied with white/red polar bear hair) dropped into the nest the fish attacked with a vengeance.
We went round and round for several minutes, I trying to position the boat and Randall trying to keep the fish from getting tangled in the underwater brush. The fish won. It had to have been over 6 pounds. (but then everyone knows that any fish that breaks the line is always "over 10".

We decided right then to try another technique. Standing in the bow of the boat we used the electric trolling motor to move along the shore looking for the nests of spawning fish. It didn't take long. I wonder how many fish we had bypassed earlier? So now the action picked up as we spotted a pair of spawners, repositioned the boat, and cast our flys to the male fish (the larger of the two fish guarding the nest.) It's really fun to see the fish your casting to and watch it turn and grab the fly. It's also not as easy as it sounds. You have to make an accurate cast and set the hook when the fish strikes. Lots of times a fish will just "blow" the fly out of the way. Other times it grabs the fly, moves a few feet from the nest, and spits it out. This happens so quickly you can't even see it. I've seen people make 30 casts into a nest and never hook the fish. Fishing for peacock bass on a nest may not be that easy, but it sure is exciting.

Aloha,
Stan
Randall Sakai with a 4# peacock caught on his newest Polar Bear Hair Crazy Charlie.

chris16
bass level

hey

Postby chris16 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:44 am

i agree stan it is very fun to fish for a spawner and all, but i usalley dont fish for them, i was told once that if eather fish get cought more then twice they will eventualley leave the nest is that true? i know its fun but got to think of the young right. i usalley sit out on places throwing livebait or jerkbaits and catching over 20-30 runts, thats fun on light tackle instead o catching a 5 pounder or bigger, witch is alot of fun but u also got to think for the future of the tukes, i know there is alot of tucs but, there use to be alot of bass to. anyways, does anyone know were i could pick up a fly rod and learn how to fish it. i have always wanted to fish with a fly rod. anything would be nice.
ChRiS

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

nesting fish

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:33 am

Chris,

Your right, with all the red devils around we sure don't want to leave the nest unguarded or stress the fish too much.

Normally we only catch only one of the 2 fish on the nest. When going after spawning fish on the beds, we use much heavier line so the fish can be landed quickly, photogtraphed, and returned to the nest. I've released fish 5 feet from the nest and they go right back in.

We never hit the same nest again.

I'm like you, I had much rather work the shoreline or catch them schooling. That's the most fun.

Aloha,
Stan

JeffFaulkner
bass level

Shoreline Crusers

Postby JeffFaulkner » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:52 pm

I had a doctors appointment today in Wahiawa so I decided to stop by the dock and watch the fish for awhile. I saw probably 30 Red Devils, two schools of Gar and two smaller tukes protecting a ball of fry. A small Tilapia moved in and I got to watch the tukes attack and eat them. It was awesome.

There were a lot of active fish swimming around.

I'll be on the water tomorrow. Hope those cruisers are still there. See some fo you tomorrow.

Jf
'Piscatur non solum Piscator' ~ There’s more to fishing than catching fish

chris16
bass level

hey

Postby chris16 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:21 pm

ya im not trying to say not to fish the spawners but, i cant speak for everyone, but ya i once and awhile go after a spawner. ya there is alfully alot of red devils around, i think im just going to go out one day with some light tackle and have fun with those red fish, stan wat do u do with the red u catch do u release them back in the water throw on land or keep them?

And does anyone know were i could purchase a fly rod? and learn how?
would be nice if someone could tell me. i9 know that i can order from bass pro or something but anyone know of a place on the island?

ChRiS

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

fly fishing tackle

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:39 pm

Hey Chris, try www.nervouswaterhawaii.com. They are located in Kaimuki, at 3434 Waialae Ave. Kind of hard to find. Maybe they can hook you up with some classes too.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:46 pm

Yea Chris,

Talk to the guys at Nervous Water. Test a few outfits befor you buy. I got my first rod and reel from Cabellas for around $99. There are even combows for around $50.

I hate to tell you this, but I do like my $600 rod better than my $49 one..... LOL

Stan

Return to “General Discussion”