Florida Bass?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Florida Bass?

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:17 am

"Why don't you bring the Florida strain largemouth bass to Hawaii?"

We've been trying to do that for over 35 years. Here is one reason it hasn't happened.....

Some 25 or so years ago while testifying before the Hawaii State Legislature... (yes, until recently the legislature, not the fish and game dept, made all the decisions and fishing laws.) Hawaii was the last state to allow the fish & game department, not the legislature, to make the fishing rules and regulations.

Anyway, the Sierra Club brought in this giant photo... the famous painting "Florida Bass" by Edward J Bierly. They testified that if Florida Bass were allowed in Hawaii they would eat all of the endangered birds. It made no difference that the "endangered birds" lived up in the mountains on different islands than where the fish would be. This picture said it all... according to the Sierra Club: "Florida Bass equals an end to Hawaii's endangered birds."

And that, boys and girls, is why we still haven't been able to import Florida Bass into Hawaii.

Aloha,
Stan
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:04 pm

I just have to say that is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard in my life!!!! It's just painting not a photo, I would bet there is little to know real evidence that Florida bass make habits of eating birds. I've heard a few stories involving big bass eating/attempting to eat birds. One of the stories was a guy was dove hunting his dove fell in the water and when he went to grab it he saw a huge bass eat it. I've fished for Florida bass before and yes they do get big, but they are also a lot more finicky than regular largemouth. And the likely hood that Florida bass would attempt or were even able to wipe out a entire bird population is slim to none. Another thing is, the aggressiveness of the tucs would probably keep the size of Florida strain bass down, the same way that a lake with striper's and Florida bass is less likely to produce monster fish. I think Florida bass would thrive at Wilson and possibly make fishing better by clearing out a lot of the aquarium fish such as red devils and five spots that seem to decimate crayfish and I would guess shad as well. I grew up fishing Lake Casitas which has some of the biggest largemouth in the world, the big bass there regularly feed on big rainbows and I would assume if brought to Wilson would do the same with the red devils. I wonder what it would take to get the Florida bass issue reviewed? I know I'm a supporter.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

hybrid bass

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:44 pm

This is kind of a dumb question, but if the northern LM bass were to breed with the southern LM bass would that also keep the average size down also? Or would there be 2 distinct populations?

Lrry93
King Sushi level

Re: hybrid bass

Postby Lrry93 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:43 pm

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN wrote:This is kind of a dumb question, but if the northern LM bass were to breed with the southern LM bass would that also keep the average size down also? Or would there be 2 distinct populations?

They are already selling this cross at hatcheries. What you end up with is a fast growing strain that can tolerate cold water temps better. So yes they will cross but the Northern strain wont effect them that much. Maybe they could bring in the cross strain instead???

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Re: hybrid bass

Postby kahuna bass » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:32 am

Greetings all,

It's a shame that people think that Florida strain large mouth bass(LMB) would eliminate the local bird population. Heck, let's also include the duck population as well. LMB eating birds and ducks are very, very rare occasions.

Lake Wilson has an excellent fishery, which would only get better with the Florida LMB. Sure enough, their diets will include smaller tucs, talipai, red devils, and other local fish.

Now, some will say, that this could disrupt the Tuc fishing. It appears to me, that lake Wilson has a large number of small tucs (1/2 lb to 1 1/2 lb) size. Because of "catch and release" status, these smaller fish can stint the growth of the Tucs. Some will even worry about the possibility of the Florida strain taking over the lake. I don't think so

Besides, the current strain of LGB in the lake, needs a hand. This summer I noticed that most LGB were long and skinny. A few even looked "sickly". Not sure what the cause is, but it can't be good for the species.

Could the Florida strain LMB grow trouphy world record size fish in lake Wilson? Not luckly, Tucs are too aggressive, size of the lake is limited. But, it can improve the current LMB population. Even some bigger fish too :wink:

Kahuna bass
Dark side live baiter :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:25 am

Exactly Kahuna! Not that I want to eat any tucs or kill them for that matter, but I think people being able to take a limit home if they wanted would produce larger tucs as well.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:48 am

Ca_Bass wrote:Exactly Kahuna! Not that I want to eat any tucs or kill them for that matter, but I think people being able to take a limit home if they wanted would produce larger tucs as well.

Ca_Bass,

Possibilities are endless. It would be great to catch Tuc's over 10 lbs! and add in Florida LMB over 10 lbs too!! :twisted:

Now, that would be entertaining! Hide the bucket of Talipia's :wink:

Kahuna bass
Dark side livebaiter, Florida LMB supporter! :twisted:
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Return to “General Discussion”