Kayaks

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

leoric
bass level

Kayaks

Postby leoric » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:33 am

Hey guys. I'm new in this forum and I'd like to know if anyone fishes Lake Wilson using kayaks. What kind of setups do you guys use? Where in the lake are good spots to go kayak fishing? Inputs are much appreciated.

andagi4me
bait level

Kayaks

Postby andagi4me » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:18 pm

Kayaks are a great way to explore the lake and get some exercise. I use a 12 foot Wilderness System kayak that I bought from Go Bananas. You can see Jody at the Aiea store. They installed a rod holder for me in the front by my feet. You can install all kinds of equipment to make your trip quite fun and comfortable.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

kayaks

Postby Stan Wright » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:13 pm

I've seen lots of kayaks on the lake..... and most of those guys were catching fish. LOL I've always wantes to drag my kayak up over the rapids and water fall up on the North Fork and explore the smallmouth waters.

Aloha,
Stan

leoric
bass level

Postby leoric » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:15 am

I'm new to this sport and I haven't had a chance to explore the lake yet. I don't have a boat but I do have a 12' ocean kayak. So I guess a kayak is my best bet as far as fishing in deeper water is concerned.

I was thinking about fitting a rod holder but the thought of drilling my kayak made me uneasy. I've thought of ways of using milkcrates and pvc pipes as rod and tackle holders but I haven't created something concrete. Anyways, thanks for all of your comments.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

kayak

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:06 am

The milk crates and bunji cords work great. A piece of PVC pipe for a rod holder. I put mine right behind the seat for a back rest. A back rest makes a BIG difference.

We should try and get together so one of us can take you out on a boat, give you the nickle tour, and show you how we fish the lake.

I bet if you launched at the Freshwater Park and started up stream (to the left) you would spot lots of spawning peacock bass. They are right against the bank, and you should have no trouble with the water as clear as it is. You might have to get within 4 or 5 feet of the shore line. Look for the orange of their fins first, then you'll notice the black vertical stripes. No problem about scaring the fish. They are not like bass.

Stan
352-6197 cell

leoric
bass level

Postby leoric » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:16 pm

W :P W! A personal tour of Lake Wilson by the great Stan Wright! That's awesome! I definitely would like to go on a boat with you guys. I am available anytime from the 22nd of June to the 30th. I'd like to contact you on your cell but I'd also like to make sure when's the best time to call you. I'll keep you posted on my pvc/milkcrate rig. Thanks Stan.

Return to “General Discussion”