Just moved here

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

ckjacobus
bait level

Just moved here

Postby ckjacobus » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:11 pm

I just moved here and very anxious to get out and test the lake. Is it called Lake Wilson because my Hawaii map doesn't have a lake wilson on it. Also where and when are those club meetings that I heard about and do they accept new members. I left my federation club back in florida and would love to get into a club here. Thinking about going this weekend any ideas of what is going on now?
Nothing better than fishing

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:00 pm

Welcome to Hawaii! If you are experienced catching the peacock bass in Florida, you might feel right at home here. On the other hand, if you are used to catching huge florida strain largemouths with flipping sticks, you might feel very homesick!
You will probably have to switch to lighter tackle here.
To find the lake, just look on the map right in the middle of Oahu and you'll see a "V" shaped reservoir.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

fishing

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:29 am

On the map it's called Wahiawa Res. A good place to start is the Wahiawa Freshwater Park. Comming from Honolulu on H-2, take EXIT #8, and keep right. Cross the bridge into Wahiawa and take a RIGHT at the light at the end of the bridge (Avacado St.) Go about 50 yards to the end and turn RIGHT..... go about 100 yards and through the gate into the park.
Just after the bathrooms on the right there is a road going down the hill to the parking lot and launch ramp.

The Hawaii Freshwater Fishing Associan meets the last Wed. of each month at Dot's Resturant in Wahiawa... 7:00 PM
Call Brock for more information 922-8049

There are lots of other places around the lake to fish from shore, especially accross from Schofield Bks.

Stan

JeffFaulkner
bass level

License, Permit and PFD

Postby JeffFaulkner » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:05 am

Make sure if you fish the park, or anywhere on the lake for that matter, that you have

1. A fishing license
2. An Entry Permit
3. A personal flotation device

I was stopped by a ranger the first time I fished there. It is a $500 fine per offense. He let us off, but seemed pretty serious about it. All of these things you can get at Sportmart or anyother sporting good store.

If you are lloking for good spots on the lake go to Google Earth. If you don't have it you can download it at http://earth.google.com/ Then in the search bar copy and paste 21°29.548N 158°01.311W.

That will give you something simimlar to the picture below.

You can see the places marked "Trailheads" will take you to a place that is a little more secluded than the dock. Depending on the water level this can be a great spot to fish or a bad one. It's a short walk and worth the look.

You can use Google Earth to explore other options of finding good spots. It will also help you locate the lake if you need help finding it.

Good luck.
Jf
'Piscatur non solum Piscator' ~ There’s more to fishing than catching fish

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

fishing spots

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:38 am

Great "map". Where you caught your first tuke is called Rose Street Slough. Your right , some days it's great and other days nothing. I was fishing that "place I want to fish" last week.... nothing. I have caught lots of fish there in the past.

That school just to the right and a little up from where you caught your first fish is where we have the fish hatchery. The club is having a general clean up day there this Sunday around 9 or 10 AM.
Brock has the address. 922-8049

Stan

Ernest
bait level

Postby Ernest » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:52 pm

Where do you get an entry permit? I'm moving to Hawaii in July and am excited to get onto the lake, just want to make sure that I'm legal.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

entry permit

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:12 pm

The entry permit is free, just ask for one when you ger your licence. It's a big full sheet of paper that is good for a year.

I know you can get a fishing licence on line, I don't know about the entry permit.

Aloha,
stan

leoric
bass level

Postby leoric » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:27 pm

here's the hawaii fishing license link:

https://www.ehawaiigov.org/dlnr/fish/exe/fresh_main_page.cgi

Return to “General Discussion”